Charity auction and fees?

Sellingnow1982
Contributor
Contributor

I did a charity auction through ebay giving 100% of the money to charity thinking that I get my fees waved.  But I was charged by paypal and probably ebay too.  I thought that when you do a charity auction and donate 100% of the money through mission fish that the money goes straight to the charity.  Instead it when into my paypal account and paypal charged me a fee.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Ben_Abney
New Community Member
Same thing has happened to me. Have done several charity sales recently, some partial and some 100% and it looks like all the proceeds are going into my account and that I am being charged all the standard fees. I need to figure this out. Worried that if I just forward the proceeds to the charity i will later learn that my account gets drafted for the contributions later. Anyone know how this works?
Login to Me Too

Sellingnow1982
Contributor
Contributor

Partially I understand the fees but 100% I don't understand the fees.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi folks!

To learn about the reduced fees for eligible nonprofits, check out this page, and click the pricing tab. There's information there about who qualifies for the lowered rates, and how to apply.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

ddoering
New Community Member

Unfortunately, Olivia, those procedures do not seem to apply to charity auctions.

The procedure you link to is for donations made directly on a charity's site using PayPal. It does not describe if there is or how to obtain a refund for a charity auction held using MissionFish on eBay, as it is in my case. As the sum is substantial, the PayPal fee is as well.

eBay prominently describes that in a 100% donation auction conducted using Mission Fish, "all fees" will be refunded. Will that be the case for PayPal fees as well? If so, what do I need to do to ensure that occurs (or is it automatic at some point)?

Thanks,

Dave

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi ddoering, and welcome to the forums!

I'd be happy to clarify. For a baseline, take a look at a non-charity situation. Imagine I'm selling a camera on eBay. If I list a camera on eBay, I will pay a listing fee. If I sell it, I will also pay a final value fee. These are fees charged by eBay for the use of their marketplace. When my buyer pays me through PayPal, I will pay a fee to receive the funds. This is a fee that is charged by PayPal for the use of the PayPal system to move money from one person to another.

When you change the situation to a charitable auction, the same fees apply, but they may be either waived, prorated, or reduced by the companies that charge them, subject to eligibility. 

• The MissionFish/Giving Works program is a discount on listing and final value fees for charitable auctions that are hosted on eBay. This affects only eBay fees.
  • The discounted charity rate for receiving funds is applied to PayPal fees, for accounts that qualify.

Charities may qualify for fee reimbursement by eBay based on the MissionFish criteria, but the PayPal account receiving the funds would still have to undergo review at PayPal to qualify for the reduced PayPal fees for eligible charities.

You can learn more here:

How does PayPal approve charities and nonprofit organizations?

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.