Can you use a prepaid credit card to sign up?

heartfeltforest
Contributor
Contributor

Just what the title says, is it possible to use a prepaid card for signing up?  Trying to avoid putting out personal info on the net.  I know it's supposed to be safe, but...

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

You can use a pre-paid card, but it may not be successful as few pre-paid cards pass our stringent security checks.  Additionally, pre-paid cards may not work out so well if a payment is refunded - we're required to send any refunds, where the purchase was originally funded with that card, back to the same card.  This can cause a problem if you've since tossed the pre-paid card, as you'll have no way to retrieve the funds from the card issuer.  In the end, it's best to go ahead and add a traditional card. 

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

jamiepeters
New Community Member

Thank you for this invaluable information sir Adrian.  It has assisted me immensly in understanding more re;  how to best use my new PayPal account. 

Sincerely,

J Peters

Login to Me Too

hcompanion
New Community Member

Since netspend does apparently pass muster, how do i add money from it to my account?  since there's no link anywhere.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

jamiepeters - you're welcome!

hcompanion - there's no need to add funds into your balance first.  As long as you have a card or bank on file, you can still make a purchase.  When you check out, if there isn't a balance, we'll simply charge the card or bank directly.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

OctaviusMaximus
New Community Member

Is there a pre-paid card company that DOES pass the stringent security? Could you possibly provide us with the name of this company? Security, for me, is best achieved using a cash pre-paid VISA. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!  We don't offer a recommendation on any card issuer other than that pre-paid or gift cards are not supported and are not recommended.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.