Any fees for Premier?

skomets
Contributor
Contributor

I accidentally upgraded to Premier while trying to find out the differences between Personal and Premier Accounts. I don't intend to sell much more than old stuff I don't need anymore, and primarily use the account for buying things, and sending/receiving money. I have been told that Personal Accounts are for people like me, and Premier accounts are for people who sell a lot more than I do.

My questions is, are there any negative side effects to upgrading my account? Will there be more fees when I buy things, or send/receive money, or occasionally sell something? If not, why are there two account types?

Thanks for your help.

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you are selling items you should have had a premier or business paypal account.to begain with.

The standard rate is 2.9% + .30 (30 cents).

Login to Me Too

skomets
Contributor
Contributor

So you're saying it was wrong to sell a few odds and ends on eBay with a Personal account? Why is there a Personal account if a Premier is so much better and there are no fees?

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Personal accounts were ment to be used for sending funds to friends and relatives, not for purchases or sales.

You were just lucky that your buyers sent paypal balance or bank transfer payments and not credit card funded payments.

If they had sent a cc funded paypal balance, you would have been told you need to upgrade to a premier or business account to accept the payment. 

Login to Me Too

skomets
Contributor
Contributor

Those 2.9% mean just for accpeting payment, right? By the way, I have received credit card payments in the past and it did charge me. I'm just wondering what the actual difference ebtween the accounts is. It seems like there is no difference at all except what you're "supposed to" use each account for. Would that be correct?

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Yes the 2.9% + 30 cent fee is for accepting payments only, not for receiving.

Premier accounts are mainly for selling,

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

The PayPal member's account type  (Personal, Premier or Business)  is no longer used to determine whether a fee is charged.  PayPal fees are now determined by the payment type - a Purchase Payment or a Personal Payment.

For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the fee.  A Purchase Payment involves buying and selling goods or services, and payments received when you send a "request money" using PayPal.

For Personal Payments, the fee, if any, is based on the Payment Method and the location of the sender and recipient.  A Personal Payment involves sending money to and receiving money from friends and family without making a purchase.

The "Fees" section of PayPal's User Agreement has the fee details... here's the link...

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&...

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@skomets wrote:

So you're saying it was wrong to sell a few odds and ends on eBay with a Personal account? Why is there a Personal account if a Premier is so much better and there are no fees?

there are no fees for a peasonal account.

Ther are fees for a premier or business account.  30 cents + 2.9%

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Regarding account types... here's the explanation from PayPal's User Agreement...

2.2 Personal, Premier and Business Accounts; Types of Transactions.  We offer three different types of Accounts: Personal, Premier and Business Accounts.  You may only hold one Personal Account and either one Premier or one Business Account.  By opening a Premier or Business Account and accepting the terms as outlined in this Agreement, you attest that you are not establishing the Account primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&...

Login to Me Too

skomets
Contributor
Contributor

Well it sounds like a Personal Account fits my needs a lot better. Is there a way to downgrade?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.