API for checking recipient's accepted currencies

ivolong
Contributor
Contributor
In order to automate payments with the IPN I need to make sure people adding their PayPal accounts to my website are able to accept USD payments without having to manually approve them.

If a user's only currency is GBP, for example, the payment will appear as 'Pending' which I need to avoid.

Is there an API so I can check this whenever a user adds their PayPal account to my site?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS_Jennifer

I looked through the PayPal Documentation, and have confirmed that there is no API Call (or SDK) that will allow you to find out a primary currency from a PayPal Account that you do not own. I did not see that option in the listing of 3rd Party Permissions.

In your API Request you can specify a specific currency, which will convert their currency to your preferred currency. You can also update your Payment Receiving Currencies to automatically accept any currency and convert it to USD (for US Accounts).

If you are already using Adaptive Accounts API (no new applications can be created for Adaptive Accounts so you must already have an Application approved for 3rd Party Permissions), and you create the PayPal Accounts, then you can setup the accounts with a specific currency:

"currencyCode": "USD",

Listing of Currencies:

NVP SOAP Currency Codes

Rest API Currency Codes

If your website is not setup to automatically specify a currency, you can update your PayPal Payment Receiving Preferences.

If you do not want to manually accept currencies you can update your PayPal Account to automatically accept all currencies, depending on our currency settings it can be set to automatically convert the funds to US Dollars.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

MTS_Jennifer

I looked through the PayPal Documentation, and have confirmed that there is no API Call (or SDK) that will allow you to find out a primary currency from a PayPal Account that you do not own. I did not see that option in the listing of 3rd Party Permissions.

In your API Request you can specify a specific currency, which will convert their currency to your preferred currency. You can also update your Payment Receiving Currencies to automatically accept any currency and convert it to USD (for US Accounts).

If you are already using Adaptive Accounts API (no new applications can be created for Adaptive Accounts so you must already have an Application approved for 3rd Party Permissions), and you create the PayPal Accounts, then you can setup the accounts with a specific currency:

"currencyCode": "USD",

Listing of Currencies:

NVP SOAP Currency Codes

Rest API Currency Codes

If your website is not setup to automatically specify a currency, you can update your PayPal Payment Receiving Preferences.

If you do not want to manually accept currencies you can update your PayPal Account to automatically accept all currencies, depending on our currency settings it can be set to automatically convert the funds to US Dollars.

Login to Me Too

ivolong
Contributor
Contributor
Doesn't solve my problem but it answered my question, thanks.
Login to Me Too

CmonGo
New Community Member

I have a client with an e-commerce site we built through Adobe Business Catalyst that wishes to add the Paypal payment option to their checkout.  The setup and templating are all there, but the client has two stores.  A Canadian (CND Dollar) store with Canadian prices and a United States (USD Dollar) store with US Prices.  The setup for the API seems quite simple.   I just need a PayPal id and API Token, but my questions are around the billing, accepting and managing of multiple currencies in one account.  So my questions are:   

1. Being headquartered in Canada is the client forced to set up two separate Paypal accounts?  (One is USD, and One is CND)
  2. Under one Paypal Account, can the client keep USD in that currency for deposit into a USD bank account and CND for deposit in a  CND bank account?
  3.  Is the access to currency settings you mentioned in this solution the same in a CND Paypal account that a US one? 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.