anonymous donations

valia
New Community Member

We would like to make our donations to charities anonymous so that we are not deluged with begging letters. We don't itemize for taxes, thus don't need receipts for our donations.

Is there away to hide our address information from organizations to which we donate using PayPal? Is there a way to control the information the Payee will see? 

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymously

bump.

this is very important for some of us.

We can give all the personal information do paypal and that's find.

But we'd like to use a nickname in all donation mail and correspondance. No personal address, no personal name. nothing. This would improve this service a great deal.

Login to Me Too

tbr7

Just wanted to add a request for the anonymous option. I have a friend who is struggling with cancer and with medical expenses. Many of her friends would like to be able to contribute money on an ongoing basis to help her, but don't want her to feel indebted. Paypal would be a great option if only there were an anonymous donation feature. 

Login to Me Too

BeggingMoney

Interested to see the development of this, since the recipient's email is also exposed as well, to unscrupulous web canvassers too.

This would be an excellent feature to set up a double blind system where neither party would be aware of any relevant user personal identifiable info.

Best regards!

Login to Me Too

Dreamstress
New Community Member

@BeggingMoney wrote:

Interested to see the development of this, since the recipient's email is also exposed as well, to unscrupulous web canvassers too.

This would be an excellent feature to set up a double blind system where neither party would be aware of any relevant user personal identifiable info.

Never gave the web canvassers a thought, but they're too cheap to send you $0.01 to get your address. However, the double anonymous donation would be best. I can think of a dozen such situations where this would be ideal and would further encourage people and organizations to donate and receive monetary gifts.

Of course, if someone really wanted to find out, I'm sure a simple court order would be all it would take for PayPal to release these details, so it's not 100% anonymous, but still for most people it is.

Please add this feature soon.

Login to Me Too

HumbledSoul
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Paypal Admin,

Thanks all the people first for adding great use cases for this anonymous donattion request.

I would also humbly and sincerly request you to please add the same.

May GOD Bless You !!

Best,

Saurabh

Login to Me Too

jj1990

I also support an anonymous donations feature.

Login to Me Too

bno

Since I know that adding features to commercial software always comes down to demand, I wanted to throw my vote into the anonymous donactions topic.  This would be an incredible feature to be added from a social standpoint and would bring a lot of good media attention to PayPal if spun in the light of allowing people to donate to causes or other people in need.  

I personally have several friends who have found themselves in dire situations with the crumbling US (and global) economy to whom I would love to donate sums of money to in order to help them out but do not want them to know that it came from me as I do not want them to feel indebted to me or feel any obligation to pay it back -- especially before they can realistically afford to.  I have sent cash to them the old fashioned way via USPS, but it would be great to be able to do it via PayPal.

I have done a bit of contract work with the PayPal team in Scottsdale and know that you guys have a great development team, I'm sure that they could tackle this problem in a matter of days and think that it would bring some great attention to PayPal, as mentioned before.  This feature would also encourage people to not violate the TOS by using psuedonames or causing any unnecessary complications when banks/credit card companies decline transactions due to mismatched PayPal account names to bank account/card holder names on file with their institutes, while also keeping PayPal in the clear from a requirements standpoint legally as it would increase transparency by not forcing people to use such psuedonames, etc.

Just my two cents! Smiley Happy

I hope to see this feature come to life very soon so that I can start helping people out using PayPal and stop resorting to snail mail (and worrying whether the money arrived for those who desperately needed it or whether it disappeared en route!!!!) 

Login to Me Too

LSG
New Community Member

I am logging into the Community Help for the first time EVER just to say please, please, please create the "anonymous" or "opt out of further harrassment" function. (Someone shared this thread with me, bless them.

I know that there are metrics that show that deluging people with a certain amount of paper creates a certain amount of return - that's why the charities do it. But there are no metrics to show how much is lost because people have become wary of being hounded after a single donation. There should be.  I know I have refrained from giving on multiple occasions because I didn't want to be "on a list" afterwards, and I know I am not alone. The topic has come up on multiple forums that I participate in, but this is the ONLY one with the power to actually DO something about it.

Please, please, please implement this functionality. And if you want to include a justification, you are welcome to publish this post.

Very sincerely!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.