Using PayPal to collect donations

Prem
New Community Member

I have a friend in India who is going to have a kidney transplant. I want to send an e-mail to my sangha asking for donations. We need to raise About $8,000. The letter or actually e-mail will go to people in Europe, Austrailia and some here in  the U S. The money will be spent in India. I have a PayPal account that I have not used for several years. What are the ramifacation of using that account to collect the donations? Things like cost to people sending to send donations, keepng record of who sent what so they can be properly thanked, keeping a record ofto whom and for what  I dispurse the funds. And any thing else I should know so I don't stumble. Thanking you in advance Love Prem

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Prem,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

@Prem wrote:

...What are the ramifacation of using that account to collect the donations?...

I'm assuming you have a U.S. PayPal account.  I recommend upgrading to a Premier or Business account if it's still a personal.  You can then create donation buttons or links using this form:

Create a Donation Button

Or checkout some of the different ways to collect donations in our Donations and Fundraising Resources thread.

@Prem wrote:

...Things like cost to people sending to send donations...

You can learn more about fees here: PayPal Fees
You will be able to view the History section of your PayPal account to keep track of donations and who has donated to the cause.
I recommend reviewing the FAQs and other information in the Donations and Fundraising Resources thread.
I hope this helps! 🙂
- Frank
If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

gloryone
New Community Member

Hi there, I recently used a donation button on my website to help raise funds for hospitalized children, which is a legitimate fundraiser that can be verified, however, I don't have a non-profit status.  Friends have donated, but I noticed funds were not posted to the account.  Therefore, I decided to make an online donation on the site, funds were taken from my debit card, but not posted to the account. If the funds are not posted to my account, then where are they going? Since then I have removed my banking account, and removed this button, and purchasing buttons thinking perhaps it was compromised.  Then I called my bank, who stated my bank account which had been opened for years, was suspended, and they have not received any transactions from paypal. How can I access donated funds, and if they cannot be accessed, will they be returned to donors?  Sad mistake on my end, but I want to make sure that donors funds are properly handled.  This fundraiser was done in good intentions for children, not to cause confusion.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.