Donation fee?

jr86
Contributor
Contributor

So I donated a dollar from my other paypal acct to test the one for my website. Once I verified my website acct the amount listed was only .67 not 1.00. Is there a fee for donating?

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

eotm
New Community Member

We are a Religion Non-profit Church in the USA and, I spoke to paypal Rep.  On the phone regard the Discrimination against Religious Churches  ( All Religions Included) That are automatically considered 501c3 in the USA by the IRS.

1) When we signed up with Paypal almost 10 years ago we were getting the Nonprofit rates through our Paypal Donation button on our website. 

2) About 3 years ago I spoke to a Paypal Rep. On the Phone. Ask Why they Discontinue giving Our Religious Church the discount of  the following:

Monthly Donation Volume: 

$0.01 - $100,000 
Over $100,000 
Fee: 

2.2% + $0.30 
1.9% + $0.30

The PayPal Rep. Stated that Paypal makes there own determination on Which Nonprofit gets Above  discount and which do not.  IT IS PAYPAL PREROGATIVE TO DO WHATEVER THEY LIKE .  SO IF THE DON'T LIKE  CHRISTIAN, JEWS , MUSLIMS, OR  ANY OTHER RELIGION THAT THEY DISAGREE . THEY MAKE THEM PAY MORE IN FEES. I KNOW THIS FOR FACT IT IS HAPPENING TO US. AND WE SENT THEM THE PAPERWORK .

When it come to Non-religious  Nonprofit PAYPAL is all for  applying there Fees Discounts.  Oh Yeah and also to there personal favorite Causes.

Login to Me Too

Sagredo
New Community Member

From the discussion seems that fro donations, the optimal way is to make the payment from the bank account, )which involves No fee?).  Corre

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Sagredo,

If your donator has the option to submit an eCheck, the fee would max out at $5.00 USD.

If you are referring to having them make it as a Personal Payment, I would strongly recommend against urging your donators to do so.  Donations are not considered personal payments, and any mis-use of the personal payments system can not only result in the removal of the ability to send and receive personal payments, but they may also result in retroactive fees being applied to your account (at the standard rate) or even account closure. 

Personal payments only apply to transfers between friends and family, such as paying an office co-worker for the portion of your lunch they covered, or sending money to your child who is at college.

If you are accepting donations, and you qualify as a 501c3 entity, the best advice is to complete the application process listed above in order to qualify for the discounted rates.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

quicktek
New Community Member

Adrian,

I now understand that donations do not qualify as a personal payments; however, why is there no reduced fee for transfers from a bank account? Obviously it costs less for Paypal to process these types of payments (since the system does it by default and urges you to reconsider when you select credit card payment methods), so shouldn't there be a different fee schedule for them? The non-profit should be able to keep more money if the processing fee is less, correct?

Jason

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.