Donation fee?

jr86
Contributor
Contributor

So I donated a dollar from my other paypal acct to test the one for my website. Once I verified my website acct the amount listed was only .67 not 1.00. Is there a fee for donating?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

There is a fee for receiving money, which does include donations.  Click on the "Fees" link at the bottom of any page to see the rates.

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

There is a fee for receiving money, which does include donations.  Click on the "Fees" link at the bottom of any page to see the rates.

Adrian

Login to Me Too

jr86
Contributor
Contributor

well, that kinda stinks (especially from the donation perspective) but thanks for replying 🙂

Login to Me Too

dbhensley
Contributor
Contributor

This person donated one Lousy dollar and pay pay took 33%? and this on Donations?  I've sold items on Ebay for anywhere from $1.00 to $15.00 and I think it was only like 2 or 3%. How does Paypal get away with chargin such a ridiculous amount.? I thought I checked their fees and I didn't see that it was 33%.

I use Pay Pal for buy and sell on Ebay and I'm not sure who is paying them for my listing but it's NOTHING NEAR what this member stated PayPal took from them.

I've created a website on Microsoft office that I wanted to use for donations to help my abused grandson and to get some funds to repair my van and give me gas money to have a volunteer visiting at the Veterans' Hospital. Geez, Shame on PayPal.  Are they requesting far less for actual sales than when you request money or donations? Again shame on Pay Pal if this is the case.

Login to Me Too

PCmediaHost
Contributor
Contributor

Man...I thought you called PayPal..PayPay..but I dont see it anymore...I thought it was hilarious...but oh well. So what I am curious about is what happens if you someone donates 15 cents...does that mean people and PayPal could nickel and dime ya to death?  🙂

Jeff

dbhensley wrote:

This person donated one Lousy dollar and pay pay took 33%? and this on Donations?  I've sold items on Ebay for anywhere from $1.00 to $15.00 and I think it was only like 2 or 3%. How does Paypal get away with chargin such a ridiculous amount.? I thought I checked their fees and I didn't see that it was 33%.

I use Pay Pal for buy and sell on Ebay and I'm not sure who is paying them for my listing but it's NOTHING NEAR what this member stated PayPay (how I read it) took from them.

I've created a website on Microsoft office that I wanted to use for donations to help my abused grandson and to get some funds to repair my van and give me gas money to have a volunteer visiting at the Veterans' Hospital. Geez, Shame on PayPal.  Are they requesting far less for actual sales than when you request money or donations? Again shame on Pay Pal if this is the case.

Login to Me Too

markertm
Contributor
Contributor

Why can't the fees to donate money to a registered 501c3 non profit be lower?  It seems that PayPal could lower or waive these fees for a bona fide charity.  The charity could use all the money it receives! 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

markertm,

PayPal has a specific rate schedule set aside for verifed 501c3 charities of 2.2% plus 30 cents if your volume is up to $100,000/month; over that, the rate decreases to 1.9% plus 30 cents.

If you would like to obtain discounted pricing for your non-profit entity, take a look at https://merchant.paypal.com/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=merchant/donations for more information.  Smiley Happy

Adrian

Login to Me Too

markertm
Contributor
Contributor

When opening this account... 501c3 status was not attained as of that time.  Since July, we have been recognized.  How do I update the account to reflect this and how does the NP get the difference back from a recent donation?  Thanks.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

markertm,

You can update the account to the 501c3 pricing schedule by going to https://merchant.paypal.com/cgi-bin/marketingweb?c md=_render-content&content_ID=merchant/donations.  Click on the pricing tab to find instructions on how to update your current account. 

In regards to fee changes, all pricing changes for all accounts are only from that point forward, and would not be retroactive. 

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Login to Me Too

dondiego
Contributor
Contributor

I understand that "personal transfers" can occur without fees when the sending account is drawing directly from a bank account or from a pre-existing PayPal balance. Would this enable donations to be made with no fee to a non-profit 501-c3 registered PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.