Does use of a donation button have an effect on fees?

rdwalk

I need to set up a button for recurring donations.  I take it I will need to a button whose cmd is set to  _xclick-subscriptions rather than _donations.  Will this have any impact on the fees charged by paypal?  The site is for a non-profit (501c3).  Will they only get the non-profit rate if we use the _donations cmd.  Or does a non-profit get that rate regardless of the cmd?  

What about situations where the non-profit is selling merchandise to raise funds?  Do they still get the non-profit rate?

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Olivia

Hi rdwalk, and welcome to the forums!

It won't matter how the button is set up. Once the non-profit is approved for the charity rate, it should apply to all received payments in the account, since that type of account should only be receiving payments for the purpose of that charity or non-profit.

Here's some info to help you out:

How does PayPal approve charities and nonprofit organizations?

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Frankwebscout
New Community Member

Hi there,

I've built a facebook social network portal for the Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles under the paypal account [removed], will any payment (subscription or cookie sale) be listed or categoriesed as a "donation." 

It's an accounting issue they are concerned about.

Thank you!!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Frankwebscout,

Nice name! 🙂  Welcome to the community!

Donation buttons and other social networking widgets do not have to be used for just nonprofits and charities.  They can also be used for fundraising as well.

As you are providing a good (cookies) or service (subscription)  we would not consider the payments to be donations.

I hope this helps! 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.