was sold a counterfeit perfume

Stargazer1
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a perfume outside of ebay and it is a counterfeit. I have opened a paypal dispute and the seller wants me to return it before she gives me a refund but she says she won't pay the postage cost for me to do so. Why should I have to pay the postage to return it when she is the one at fault? Do I have to return a counterfeit item  in order to get my refund or should I escalate the dispute to a claim?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_david

Hi Stargazer1,

You should not return an item that you feel is a counterfeit product. It is against the law for a counterfeit item to be posted. If you open a dispute through PayPal or eBay, you will be asked to obtain third party documentation showing the item you received is a counterfeit product. When we have received this document, we would then contact you with an update.

I hope this helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

denz1973
New Community Member

Hi

I am in the same position and have bought counterfeit aftershave and the seller will not accept returns, and will not refund me how am I supposed to get a third party to report that it is counterfeit, who are we supposed to ask.  The aftershave I bought is in my opinion a fake as the bottle is even a different colour.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there denz1973,

I would advise that you open a dispute in the Resolution Centre and we will provide you step by step instructions on what needs to be done.

As we are an internet-based business, we do not have the opportunity to review the relevant items and evidence in question so we rely on the documents described in our request to continue with the investigation of a claim.

•  The document should be from an unbiased third-party, such as a dealer, appraiser, or another individual or organisation that is qualified in the area of the item in question (other than yourself), which clearly identifies the item as not authentic.

•  The document should include a serial number (if applicable) and description of the item and must be on letterhead paper that includes the name, signature, address, and phone number of the individual, business, or organisation so that PayPal can contact them if necessary.

Hope this helps!

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

DutchMex
Contributor
Contributor

I just received a counterfeit perfume here in the US. But PayPal sent me an email I've got to return the perfume to the seller. Although I expressed my concerns about shipping it back. I'd prefer to take it to the police so they can act against these kind of crooks!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

I would contact PayPal directly and advise them that you do not wish to ship the item back because the item is counterfeit.

What would normally happen then is you would be asked to provide documentation from a shop or dealer confirming the item is counterfeit. Once that was received you would be asked to destroy the item and then a refund would be issued.

Login to Me Too

DutchMex
Contributor
Contributor

I did that but got an email to return the bottle to the seller. BUT I also called Armani and they asked me for photos and other details and they were going to send in their anti-fraud unit. Hope that works 😉

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

Is the case open on eBay or PayPal?

If PayPal then they shouldn't be asking you to return the item at all. Once you give them a call the case can be altered and you would be asked to provide documents instead of send it back.

Login to Me Too

DutchMex
Contributor
Contributor

The case # PP-001-444-712-553 was closed yesterday. And yes I had to return the bottle.

Login to Me Too

OMLTek

I have a case opened PP-003-507-061-943. I tried to contact Paypal and also talked to suppervisor. Paypal asks me send the fake perfume back. I can prove that the perfume is fake but they just follow the policy.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.