repaying a payment that was cancelled in error

Angela5452
Contributor
Contributor

i am trying to repay a seller after cancelling the original payment..wrong email address given..the money was taken from my bank account but has now been refunded and showing as pending on my pay pal account and i need to repay this amount to the seller but i dont know how...

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Angela5452

If you were able to cancel a payment it means the seller made a mistake with the email address on their auction and could not accept your payment.

When you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal credit the seller for you and then start the process of uploading your funds to paypal from your funding source. This is done so you get your item more quickly.

So when you cancel that payment  those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

So you would need to wait until the pending status has cleared then you can re-use those funds if they are in your balance OR you have to wait until they transfer back to your bank account if you used a debit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.