phone on ebay has water damage

Eddieras
Contributor
Contributor

i bought a phone on ebay that was listed 'as is'. upon receipt it looked to be in good condition. however it failed 3 weeks later. it did power off a couple times during this period (i have same phone- Galaxy S3) and that too has been known to reboot. so i didn't think too much of it. however, last week it died. i took it to Sprint and they opened it up and said it had water damage. i contacted the seller who of course would not help and ebay pretty much said i couldn't return it..  i'm really upset, but before i accept 'buyer beware' i just wanted to check if i had any recourse with paypal.  their site says to go thru ebay but i figured i'd check here anyway.  thanks for any help!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Try and see if paypal will open one for you direct >>

Click on the words "Contact" at the bottom of your paypal account summary > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent or say the word "agent".

OR have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Did you open a dispute on ebay? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Eddieras
Contributor
Contributor

I tried, but could not open dispute.  Only option was to contact seller which I did but he/she wouldn't help with any type of resolution. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Why could you not open an ebay dispute??

Did you pay via ebay checkout? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Eddieras
Contributor
Contributor

yes, paid via ebay check out- paypal.  When i went on ebay to open dispute it said something about not being able to open dispute buy i could contact seller- and the seller declined the request to return the item.  I guess because it was 3 weeks later?  not sure and i don't recall the exact wording.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Then i would certainly try on paypal.

File a dispute via the resolution centre, link to that is lower left of your paypal summary page.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Eddieras
Contributor
Contributor

thank you again- when i go to the resoulutions page and click on this transaction to start the resolution it says i already tried to file a disupte with ebay- however the ebay dispute i did only allowed me to email the seller and request a resolution.  it was not a typical ebay resolution where they get involved.  i really appreciate you taking the time- thanks 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Try and see if paypal will open one for you direct >>

Click on the words "Contact" at the bottom of your paypal account summary > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent or say the word "agent".

OR have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Eddieras
Contributor
Contributor

thank you! i just messaged paypal via facebook. i will let you know how i make out- thanks again!

Login to Me Too

Eddieras
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted to let you know i've been message paypal via FB as you recommended and they have resolved my issue!  I can't thank you enough for taking the time and offering me advice.  It all worked out and i really appreciate it!

ed

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.