Weird payment taken out my paypal account?

Stu_L
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I opened up a paypal account a while ago now to purchase items from Xbox 360 marketplace. I checked my bank account today and £5.99 has been taken out of my credit card account via paypal to Microsoft Luxemburg S.A.R.L. I called xbox support and they have no record of this transaction at all and told me to contact paypal?

Has this happened to anyone else? What shall I do now and to prevent it happening in the future? Has my account been hacked?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Maria
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Stu_L,

Thanks for posting your query and welcome to the UK Community Forum!

It sounds like a billing agreement may have been set up when you purchased items from the Xbox 360 Marketplace. If you have not already done so, I’d recommend asking Xbox support if there is evidence of unauthorised activity on your Xbox account. You can also open a report of an unauthorised transaction on your PayPal account.

Here's how to report an unauthorised transaction:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click 'Resolution Centre' near the top of the page.
  3. Click 'Dispute a Transaction.'
  4. Select 'Unauthorised transaction: I did not authorise a recent transaction.' and click 'Continue.'
  5. Follow the steps to report the transaction.

I’d also suggest to change your password and security questions on both your PayPal and Xbox accounts, ensuring that you use different passwords on each. Please repost and let us know how you get on!

Hope this helps,

Maria 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

PayPal_Maria
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Stu_L,

Thanks for posting your query and welcome to the UK Community Forum!

It sounds like a billing agreement may have been set up when you purchased items from the Xbox 360 Marketplace. If you have not already done so, I’d recommend asking Xbox support if there is evidence of unauthorised activity on your Xbox account. You can also open a report of an unauthorised transaction on your PayPal account.

Here's how to report an unauthorised transaction:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click 'Resolution Centre' near the top of the page.
  3. Click 'Dispute a Transaction.'
  4. Select 'Unauthorised transaction: I did not authorise a recent transaction.' and click 'Continue.'
  5. Follow the steps to report the transaction.

I’d also suggest to change your password and security questions on both your PayPal and Xbox accounts, ensuring that you use different passwords on each. Please repost and let us know how you get on!

Hope this helps,

Maria 

Login to Me Too

Stu_L
Contributor
Contributor

Hi thanks for getting back to me i did research a bit and it turns out it werent just me they were taking money from other people aswell there was a chap who didn't even have a X-BOX and they were taking money off him.  

I did dispute it like you said and it was reversed they have paid me the money back now i recieved it today. 

Thanks for the help! 

Stuart

Login to Me Too

coolie
New Community Member

hi, i think it might be something to do with love film and the one month free trial.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.