Temporary hold by PayPal

Jc377
Contributor
Contributor
After cancelling a payment I made to a wrong email address in error, PayPal has placed the funds on a temporary hold. I've had no contact from PayPal and was not expecting the funds to leave my account when it was minutes between making the payment and cancelling it. Please advise when my money will be returned. Many thanks
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you were able to cancel a payment it means the seller made a mistake with the email address on their auction and could not accept your payment.

When you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal credit the seller for you and then start the process of uploading your funds to paypal from your funding source.

This is done so you get your item more quickly.

So when you cancel that payment (as the seller can't accept it), those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week..

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jc377
Contributor
Contributor
So it's been a while, and in my opinion, a decent amount of time has passed for PayPal to return my money to me. This is what the status says: Date: 27 Mar 2014 Time: 16:53:21 GMT Status: Placed PayPal has placed a temporary hold while we're reviewing it. We'll contact you shortly with further information. As you can see it was on 27th march. I've had no correspondence from PayPal what so ever.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Takes 5-7 working days for funds to transfer through to paypal so you just have to be a bit patient as they will work there way back to you as its only been 6 days so far.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.