Seller protection

colind
Contributor
Contributor

Seller Protection.

Is a seller covered for seller protection using Royal Mail Second class standard?

Take for granted that the transaction shows this sale is eligible for seller protection & a Certificate of Posting is obtained, franked & till receipt is retained?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

assuming the receipt shows where the item was being sent then yes you will be covered for seller protection against fraudulent payments.

What you won't be covered against is non-receipt cases, i.e. a legitimate payment where the buyer opens a claim or chargeback stating they did not receive the item.

Login to Me Too

colin1940
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks John for confirming my fears. What does a seller on ebay do? For obvious reasons eBay & buyers want low postage charges (as do I) but basic charges do not cover signed for postage. How does a seller protect themselves against dishonest buyers. I concur that they are few in number, but COST a lot.

Best of regards,

Colin

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi Colin1940,

In my opinion, I would always post an item using a recorded delivery or trackable service. Even if the transaction amount was a small amount. This is so that I know for my own piece of mind when and where an item has been delivered and who has signed for the item.

I realise that a lot of buyers would not be happy with this but if you outline on your listings that you are sending the item using a recorded delivery service, they would be aware before purchasing the item that your postage may be a bit extra then normal to receive the item.

Even if you receive a payment from a buyer who has paid the minimal amount of postage for the transaction, I would advise that you pay the bit extra for a tracking number in order to ensure that you are protected in the event of any type of investigation happening on the transaction.

Another bit of advice I would give you would be to hold on to your postage receipts for up to 6 months after the payment was received. With a chargeback (which is a disputes process outside of PayPal), these can be filed in some cases for anywhere up to 6 months after the payment was received so in order to try and protect yourself as a seller, you should keep your postage receipts if possible up to this date after the payment.

I hope this advice helps.

David.

Login to Me Too

colin1940
Contributor
Contributor

Mant thanks for your help

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.