Scammed over Twitter

Bagelll
Contributor
Contributor
For the second time, I've been scammed. The first one was a bit easier to get my money back from, but the second scammer knew what he/she was doing. So we were talking over a Twitter private message, I sent the money to his/her PayPal email, and then he/she deletes his/her Twitter account, so I have no evidence of this other than me paying him/her. What can I do to get my money back? I can't start a dispute, because I technically didn't buy anything, I just payed him/her. The Twitter private conversation has disappeared if I wasn't clear enough.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bagelll

Oh dear, a “gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

Scam sellers often ask for payment that way as they know this.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bagelll

How did you pay?

Was it send goods > friends/ family?

Or did you pay an invoice or money request?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bagelll
Contributor
Contributor
Send money to friends and family
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bagelll

Oh dear, a “gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

Scam sellers often ask for payment that way as they know this.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bagelll
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, thanks for your help
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.