SELLERS BE AWARE! This is The best PayPal Scam ever!

ssilversurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Sent this to PayPal complaints today. I have since been told under no uncertain terms I cannot appeal this scam!! Sellers beware! I am so pleased I have eviudence!

Dear PayPal Complaints,

Ref: Case #PP-005-732-122-70

I am absolutely disgusted by PayPal protocol and the way they treat innocent customers who have been victims of theft and are then penalised by PayPal leaving no way to appeal your case!

I recently placed an advertisement on eBay to sell my Erde 122 trailer which was sold to a Mr Francois Du Mains of Bideford, Devon. I congratulated him on his purchase through eBay mail and gave him my telephone number; twice. On the 27th March Mr Du Mains emailed me to say he would call that evening to arrange collection - which he did. (I have a log of the private number he used and the duration of this call).

On Saturday 1st April Mr Du Mains arrived at my home rather early and sat in my living with my wife and 4 children whilst I got up and dressed. I spoke with Mr Du Mains who told me he had called ahead that morning but I must have been asleep (there is a log on my phone of the missed ‘private’ call at 0806). I showed Mr Du Mains his trailer and hooked in onto his car and I even offered to check the lights but he said not to worry and off he drove placing his magnetic number plate above my already existing plate.

A few days later I decided to transfer my money out of PayPal and leave feedback for Mr Du Mains as he had paid promptly and collected as promised. I noticed then that I had been paid a postage fee of £3.30. I thought this strange and checked my eBay advertisement and sure enough it had a postage option on the advert. This I thought strange as I clearly had no intention of posting a trailer and certainly not at the price of £3.30 if I did. I noticed then that PayPal had deducted some money from the £175 selling fee and assumed the postage had been removed.

In order to leave feedback for Mr Du mains I had to say click the button on eBay to say that the item had been posted (I had no option from the eBay site), and as the item had been collected, I thought nothing of it, clicked the posted button and left positive feedback.

On the evening of the 19th April I noticed an email from PayPal saying a dispute had been raised  and I needed to respond. I quickly read the dispute made by Du Mains saying I had not posted the item he had paid for and had given me ample time without any correspondence from me. I  immediately called him to see if this was made in error. Speaking to him I introduced myself and said he had bought and collected a trailer from my home a few weeks ago to which he responded “ I don’t know what you’re talking about” and put the phone down.

At this point I was in shock and was completely amazed!

I immediately then called your adviser (after some 40 minute call wait) and told her exactly what I’ve written above. She asked me provide as much evidence of correspondence/information as I could and assured me a full investigation would be undertaken by PayPal before a decision would be made on the appeal. She also told me I could appeal the case should the decision be made against me. Lol, that was a joke!

I logged into my account and sat for hours that evening providing as much information as possible including several notes with the whole story, pictures of call logs from my phone, pictures of email correspondence relating to the call log references, pictures of the emails arranging calls etc. etc. etc.

I heard nothing else until I received an email from PayPal on the 24th April telling me the dispute had been resolved and you had favoured Du Mains and had refunded his money from my account!

I immediately went to your website to read what had been submitted and it told me that because I couldn’t provide evidence of postage you had favoured Du Mains appeal. There wasn’t even  away to see any evidence submitted (mine or Du Mains) or a way to appeal the decision. This was fast becoming a joke and my frustration and stress levels were at tipping point.

I then reported this as a crime of theft from my property to West Mercia Police: Crime number *************.

After this I called your customer adviser and again explained that I could not leave evidence of postage as it was collected by the buyer. I pointed out that Du Mains had been an eBay member since the 7th March 2017 where as I had been a member since 1997 with all positive feedback. I explained the entire situation again to her telling her the reasons why I could not submit evidence of postage, even explaining that this guy had sat in my living room with my family before I hooked up my trailer to the back of his car! The advisor told me that a full investigation would be carried out on Du Mains and I should report the theft to the police. LOL! It gets better! A full investigation clearly wasn’t carried out and now that  you’ve taken my money, you then inform me it is a matter for the police! This is a complete and utter farce!

I also explain to your advisor I cannot even appeal the case on my PayPal account; she went on to tell me the case had been re-opened by her and a full and thorough investigation would take place into the matter.

I once again wrote a 2000 word entry into your evidence portal on my PayPal login site explaining the whole situation - again, even submitting a crime reference number.

Shortly after whilst speaking with the Crime Bureau Officer to re-arrange an appointed made at my local Police Station to provide evidence, I mentioned that there were Police cameras at a major junction near to where I lived. Asked if a knew the number plate of Du Mains vehicle I explained that my (old) number plate was on the back of the trailer and Du Mains placed his number plate above it (not on top of it). The Crime Bureau Officer told me she would make enquiries and would be in touch. Approximately an hour later the Crime Bureau Officer called me to explain that the trailer had been picked up by APNR cameras at the junction at the time and the date I submitted as evidence of the theft. Eureka! I have Du Mains caught as a thief and perhaps now you would be kind enough to refund my money!

I quickly report the evidence to my PayPal appeal evidence page letting you know I have conclusive evidence of the theft of my trailer.

Oh no… it gets better…I receive another email from PayPal the next day (25th April 2017) telling me my appeal has been closed as I cannot provide evidence of postage!

This must be a joke; I have an extremely stressful job, I’ve recently and very suddenly lost my mother 5 days before Christmas and my mother in law underwent PET scans for lung cancer on Saturday 22nd April; and I now have this thief and PayPal’s ridiculous protocol and complete lack of understanding to deal with, let alone the fact that you have refunded MY money to the guy that has my trailer and then to top it all off (this may make you laugh), I have received a bill form eBay for the sale!!!

So, I again contact your advisor. Oh yes, I got the most understand guy in the world this time….. After I explained the whole situation to him again, he advises me I should have taken  cash at the point of sale! Thanks for the advice!! He also advised me that I should never have been told this case would be investigated as I cannot provide proof of postage therefore I could not possibly win the case! Is this a joke or what? I explained to the advisor that if PayPal had enough power to take money from my account then PayPal should have enough power to carry out  full and thorough investigation into the matter.; if not then they should have handed the matter to the police for investigation. He also explained that he could not re-open the appeal because it would again be rejected by PayPal Administrators as I could not provide postage evidence. I explained that I had police evidence of the Du Mains towing my trailer away on the back of his car. He eventually told me a manger would call me that afternoon. When I said, “I sincerely hopes he does” he replied, “I sincerely hopes he does too”!  What excellent customer service you provide PayPal! I await the call………………

So the conclusion is that if someone uses PayPal to pay you (which incidentally I had the privilege to pay for!) and the item is collected then anyone can set up a dispute to say they have not received the item. It doesn’t matter even if you have conclusive evidence that this is a fraudulent claim as you will not succeed because you can’t provide proof of postage!! Absolutely disgusting!

This is a criminal matter and I should have been directed to the police in the first instant, not given the run around by your advisors. This has caused me so much distress and anguish I will be seeking advice from a solicitor into the way you have conducted your business regarding this matter.

Ps . If you are wrongly going to take the money from my account then please have the courtesy to take the amount after your fee was deducted and not the total selling price, this would mean that you would get a transaction fee from me when there was no transaction! Also your subsidiary company ‘eBay’ will need to retract their invoice to me as the sale (according to your excellent investigation) never took place!

Thank you for all your help, advice and assistance.

I will continue my criminal case against Du Mains for the theft of my trailer and in the meantime would like a response from you within 14 days.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ssilversurfer

You need to read up on seller protection before you start selling.

In the event of an item not received dispute the ONLY evidence paypal accept is a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to the buyer.

That is why Ebay allow you to list an auction with CASH ON COLLECTION only for items that are personally delivered or collected. You can refuse any paypal payment.

So if you had done that you would have had cash in hand / no paypal fees / no disputes.

But you chose not to do that and so you lost any seller protection that you had.

Paypal gives you some seller protection but the onus is on you to make sure that you qualify for that seller protection (insurance) and you didn't  >>

11.10 What are examples of items/transactions/cases that are not eligible for PayPal seller protection?

1. Intangible items, licenses for digital content, and services. Where PayPal in its own discretion may make certain intangible items, licenses for digital content and/or services eligible from time to time, unless otherwise agreed in writing with PayPal, the following will always remain ineligible:
    1. Items equivalent to cash (including, without limitation, stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards ).
    2. Payments made in respect of financial products and investments.
    3. Donations.
  2. Items that you deliver (or are picked up) in person.
  3. Transactions made through Zong, Website Payment Pro (PayPal Direct Payment and Virtual Terminal).
  4. Claims, Chargebacks and Reversals for Significantly Not as Described and/ or claims filed directly with eBay.
  5. PayPal Business Payments.

HOWEVER if you have enough evidence that your buyer defrauded you then of course you can go ahead and pursue him in the small claims court etc, but its not paypals job to do all that, they gave you seller protection to cover you but you refused that so now its up to you to sort things out.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ssilversurfer
Contributor
Contributor

That's great thanks! I can no go and do exactly the same to every other unsuspecting seller, start a dispute and win!
You miss the point! This is theft. I want my case to be read not judged because I could not provide evidence of postege. You have sided with the thief! Like I said absurd, wrond and disgusting!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ssilversurfer

Unlikely as most sellers READ up on seller protection and would never accept paypal for an item that was to be collected.

And i have not sided with anyone, YOU had seller protection but you IGNORED IT.

So paypal have done EXACTLY what they state they will do in their user agreement, which is NO proof of delivery =  no seller protection.

Stop blaming others for your own mistakes.

I sell lots of items for collection but would NEVER accept paypal for them as i know i would have no seller protection.

If i did and got a dispute then i would take it on the chin as MY mistake and move on.

By all means go file against your buyer but its your problem and not paypals.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ssilversurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for your constructive criticism kernowlass. (I take it there is no crime in Cornwall to women)?

I have some points to add:

So paypal have done EXACTLY what they state they will do in their user agreement, which is NO proof of delivery =  no seller protection

I take it conclusive police evidence of the trailer being towed away from my home by the buyer is not good enough for PayPal? You must have a receipt for postage; period?

I don't believe I asked for seller protection; i really didn't believe there would be a dispute raised against me for providing goods at the agreed selling price which were inspected and collected from my home. I also never expected to receive such a negative response for publicising this fraudulent activity.

I'm not sure whether you read my article but I did state that I unknowingly had a post option on the advert? I didn't intend to post the 1.22m trailer for £3.30, it wouldn't have got over the counter at the post office. Did it ever occur to you or the PayPal staff that there may be a loop hole in the system exploited by would be criminals? Do you think I accidentally thought the £3.30 would have delivered my trailer anywhere in the world? Or do you think perhaps this may have been a missed click of a button when placing the ad?

I like the way you condone the criminal in this case. It's my fault, I am the victim and I should take it on the chin. A very mature outlook.

Let me asure you..this is not a mistake. I knowingly took money for the sale of my trailer. It is the indeed this sale of goods which has been inefficiently and incorrectly judged by a third party financial institute making me a victim of a crime. This is a first me me - it's the victims fault...I made a mistake! I sincerely hope you never become a member of a jury! I do however hope one day you become a victim of a crime and judged according to your own morals and standards; don't blame the perpetrator of the crime and take it on the chin; whatever the case may be.

Your final statement is pure class.... this is my problem and not PayPal's..

Oh yes, it was most definately myself that transferred my money back to the guy that towed my trailer from my drive after I hooked it up to his car. Its completely my fault PayPal has allowed criminals to exploit innocent sellers by allowing a huge loop hole in their protocol to exist (unless of course you have proof of postage- police evidence doesn't count). 

As I said before..Sellers beware! Do not take PayPal payment for items you sell on Ebay if they are being collected. If you can't provide a tracking number then its tough! You will be scammed, become a victim and get blamed for being the victim. Criminals Rule!

Kernowlass, I sincerely hope you don't work for Action Fraud?! Can you imagine... Sorry mate, you can't blame the perpetrator for your own mistakes........What sort of society do we live in? You become a victim of a crime, have no say in the judgement of that crime, get finacially penalised  and then get publicly chastised becuase you allowed the crime to happen to you. Nice!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ssilversurfer

I take it conclusive police evidence of the trailer being towed away from my home by the buyer is not good enough for PayPal? You must have a receipt for postage; period?

Thats fine if you want to pursue the buyer in the small claims court but it has NOTHING to do with paypal as paypal DO NOT cover items that are collected or delivered personally.

What part of ''you do not qualify for seller protection'' do you not understand?

Paypal gives you some seller protection but you CHOSE to negate that seller protection (insurance).

It does not matter how abusive you become to me personally or where i live the facts won't change.

You chose to negate your ''insurance'' so that is YOUR responsibility and not paypal.

As i said i sell lots of items that are collected BUT I DO NOT accept paypal for them because i know i won't be covered.

I also took the time to READ up on seller protection before i started selling so i knew what coverage paypal offered.

You don't ''ask'' for it, it is automatically given but there are things it does not cover and items that are collected are one of them.

Your buyer scammed you but as you ignored your ''insurance'' then you can't expect them to help you so you are now on your own and can certainly use your proof in the small claims court. Yes you are a victim and i hope you win in a court of law but stop blaming paypal for your problems.

Guess you are the sort of guy that would insure their house structure ''but not their contents'', and then when the insurance company turned you down with a claim for the contents you would blame them for not paying out as you had ''proof'' the item were stolen !  Smiley Very Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ssilversurfer
Contributor
Contributor

How very silly of you!

I didn't negate my insurance. I never claimed...the perpetrator claimed agianst me?

The fact of the matter is if you cannot prove you posted the item, you have no proof. I did not ask for PayPal to take my money. I did not ask for the perpetrator to take my trailer and defraud me of my money. The protection you are so fond of has been used against me...what do you find so hard to understand?

I'm the type of guy that insures both my buildings and contents and claims if something is stolen. I'm also the guy to have things stolen from my home and then the thief claim against me!

I'm not asking PayPal for help..and don't want hem to fight my corner, but just, as you say, not be the guy who insures his buildings for someone to burn it down and then claim against me.   What do you find so hard to undertstand? PayPal do not accept any evidence an item has been collected.........PERIOD!

If i look at every item for sale on any site using PayPal, i could pay, tell the seller I will collect the item to save them postage fees and start a dispute which I know i will win, irrespective of them taking a photograph of me in their home with their goods in my hands. However according tou , it would be their own fault and shoulkd take it on the chin!  I think you need to get off your high horse and look at situations from a differnt angle (you will when you become a victim). And please tell me why asking if there are no crimes comitted to women in Cornwall offensive? Let someone rob your house and then watch a third party pay them for the pleasure...now that will offend you 🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ssilversurfer

You negated it the second you accepted paypal for an item that was to be collected.

The insurance thing was an example, i am sure you DO insure both buildings and contents.

BUT if you only insure for building coverage then you can't claim for the contents side of it.

The same way if you have seller protection but don't meet the criteria because you don't abide by the terms then you can't claim compensation from it.

All I can suggest is that you stop selling things online and using paypal as you don't seem to have the intelligence to understand how things work.

Paypal processed your payment AS YOU REQUESTED. Its not up to them to check that the person you are paying is genuine or not and that is why they give you seller protection ie insurance.

You chose to negate their protection so when the buyer filed a dispute they returned the money.

Don't sign up to a user agreement that you don't have the intelligence to understand and try and READ up on seller protection BEFORE you start to sell again...........personally i think the best thing you can do is stop selling and use car boot sales.

You have given us all a laugh with your replies though.

You can post again but it won't be read, BYE

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SpanishEyes
Contributor
Contributor

This poor person messed up, I feel for them. We all slip up occasionally in our daily lives but I for one would have expected Paypal to be more sympathetic and helpful. I do find your last sentence that the writer had given you (plural) many laughs with their problem the most callous of statements. Never once did you express any common decency.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SpanishEyes

Obviously you have not read through the whole thread as I gave them a perfectly polite response to their original question explaining why they were not covered by paypal and gave some advice for the future eg small claims court etc.

That was the ONLY advice that I could give them as they were not covered by buyer protection.

I finished it with good luck.

In my opinion having politely given up my time to give them the best advice that I could, did I get a 'thank you for your response and advice?' 

No I received post after post being rude about me, where I live etc etc just because I did not agree with him.

He sold a 'collect' item that had NO buyer protection so was not covered. I told him that you should always read up on buyer protection BEFORE you start using paypal.........that is a FACT if you don't want to be scammed.

As for 'paypal' being more sympathetic, where did paypal post on this thread??? I did not see any paypal employee post on his thread at all?

And yes I was rude back, having tried to help and only received abuse I posted what I thought of the rude original poster.

If he could not be polite to me then i certainly don't see why i should have to be polite back again.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.