Paypal fraud scam

Kalaahal
New Community Member

I was selling an item in craiglist worth 400$

I got a buyer who contacted me through text.

Buyer wanted to process the payment through paypal.

I opened new paypal account.

I got a phishing email which looks same as paypal that an payment is pending from the buyer . please email the tracking number of the shipment.

I went to ship it from USPS with insured service.

I emailed the tracking number of shipment and was not able to judge the mail as it looks like it has come from Paypal.

Once I emailed the tracking number

I recieved a email stating your paypal account is not business account and has limit. Ask the buyer to send extra amount to your account to expand the limit

The buyer texted me that he can help me by adding extra fund but I need to send him back.

I thought this is something fishy and I called paypal customer service. They said they have not mailed anything like this to raise the limit.

I got to know that this buyer is not a real buyer.

I raised an intercept request with USPS to redirect my package again to the sender on the same day of the delivery.

Unfortunately intercept was unsuccessful and the package was delivered to buyer and I never recieved my price amount.

USPS says that intercept is not a gauranteed service and sorry we could not intercept.

Paypal said no transaction happened at our end as those mails were not sent by us. 

Can anyone please help or advise what can be done in this case

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kalaahal

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Nothing you can do unfortunately as you were scammed by a fake paypal email.   Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.