Paypal asks me to refund a buyer? Fraud not as described claim

chrb
Contributor
Contributor

10th January I sold an iPad on Ebay. End of Feb the buyer opened a Paypal 'not as described' case claiming that he couldn't use it because there was a passcode on the iPad when it was received (there wasn't) and Paypal approved the return and took the money from my Paypal account. He then returned the iPad, failed to provide a tracking number and had the case closed against him, Paypal refunded the money, but then he appealed and today Paypal approved his appeal and asked me to refund him. So I have two questions:

1. The iPad came back and had clearly been used: iTunes said it was set up as "Peter's iPad". All of his claims about not being able to use it were false. Is there any way to appeal this to Paypal? It seems crazy that a buyer can take something, use it for two months, and then just return it and the seller is expected to accept this and lose the cost of shipping and Ebay fees.

2. When the claim case was approved Paypal took the money out of my account, but when the appeal was approved they sent  an email stating "we request that you send the buyer a full refund for the transaction." Wording this as a "request" suggests that the refund is optional? What happens if I don't send a refund? 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

chrb
Contributor
Contributor

3. I just checked the 'Actions' that are available for the original purchase and there are only options for 'Add tracking' and 'Archive'. The 'Refund' option is missing and the claim case is 'Closed'. Why has Paypal sent an email requesting me to refund the purchase when this action is not possible anymore?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Hi Chrb,

Thanks for posting in the forum and apologies for the delay. If the funds were already taken from your account, it is possible that the email was an automated message. As we wouldn't be able to follow up here, if you still need clarification, the best option would be to contact us via Facebook or Twitter: @AskPayPal or from the Contact us option in your PayPal account.

Thanks,

Jessica

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.