PAYPAL CHARGES

B2DF
New Community Member

I have just sent £10 to a friend using F&F and been charged 54 pence. I wonder why? Initially the charge was pointing at my DEBIT CARD and asking for 54 pence so I said I may as well change it to my CREDIT CARD which I did for the same charge. Should I have pointed it at my BANK ACCOUNT instead. Would that have eliminated the charge?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@B2DF

Friends / family payments are free if funded via instant bank transfer / funds in your paypal balance OR debit card.

But if you use a credit card then you pay a fee. HOWEVER if you are charged when you used a DEBIT card then it is sometimes to do with how PayPal view the card.

All card's first 6 digits are what is called a BIN number. BIN is beneficial to identify a card brand, issuing institution or bank, country of issuance, card type and category of cards. This is how PayPal identifies the type of card used. However some banks have incorrectly classified there debit cards as credit or prepaid cards under this BIN. So thats why some debit cards are charged as well.

Best to just use bank transfer or funds in your paypal balance to be on the safe side.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.