On 21/06/2016 I have been charged Stg 28.48 by Pitney Bowes Ltd.

agiup002
Contributor
Contributor

Sir,     On 21/06/2016 I have been charged Stg 28.48 by Pitney Bowes Ltd. for which no previous request was made at the time of buying. From the number of claims made on your Claim & Dispute page it seems that this company has a track record of complaints submited by customers who are allegedly complaining that the company has arbitrary deducted money from their account. Unfortunately I have experienced that same mishap and is seriously cconsidering to resort to another form of payment which more secure. At no stage of the transaction have I been clearly advised that extra money are involved. This is seriously in breach of my rights as a customer.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@agiup002

Firstly this is not paypal customer services it is a user to user help forum.

Secondly i suspect your transaction was an international one, pitney bowes is the customs charge you pay to import the item into your country, it is done upfront to save the postman chasing it for you on delivery and is a requirement of customs in your own country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

agiup002
Contributor
Contributor

As regards the first clarification perhaps you are right. But I beg your pardon to your second statement. The item which has not yet been delivered to my Country, that is Malta, is not subject to any Customs duty, and therefore I wonder what the extra charges could be.....and I really like to be informed about the details of the extra charge.

Anyway my frustration is mainly that the extra charge on the item should have been clearly stated during the process of the transaction so that one who is comparing the overall price and charges of the item will be in a better position to compare like with like and better assess what is the best option. The customer has every right to know what is being charged  from his/her moneycard BEFORE the transaction is completed and not AFTER when the whole transaction is completed. This thing should be rectified as it seems that many people are being mislead and unfailry charged for same items which could easily be found from other sellers at a cheaper price (if all the information been available before the final payment). Please take note.....

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@agiup002

If you have been charged then customs charges would have been subject to customs duty.

Also it has nothing to do with the seller who does not know the customs requirements of every country in the world.

A lot of the time you would only know that you had to pay customs when the postman delivered your item and asked for it, this way it is taken upfront to save the hassle.

You are responsible in knowing and paying customs duty required by your own government.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Malta/

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

agiup002
Contributor
Contributor

I have checked the documents again and it transpired that the charges by Pitney Bowes Ltd were actually shipping charges and not Customs charges. I was sure that no Customs Charges were involved in the ordered item. As a matter of fact a friend of mine residing in Malta has ordered a similar item and was not subject to any Customs Duty. So the matter is now clarified, although I am not happy that the seller has included an additional handling charges which were not indicated in the ebay advert.

Thank you for your advice.............

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@agiup002

Smiley Wink  Shipping charges for an item subject to customs duties.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.