Insurance against loss on returned items.

Watchman12
Contributor
Contributor

Recently bought an item from USA. (I'm based in UK) Paid for said item through Paypal.

The item duly arrived and I paid VAT (£48) to customs to receive it. 

The item is not what it was purported to be (fake) so I raised an item dispute and the seller in America has pledged to refund the amount upon return of the item.

My question is this: 

I'm very wary and suspicious of the scruples of this seller now: 

If I return the item across to USA and he claims not to have received the returned item, who is responsible for covering the monies owed to me?

Would it be Paypal or the Mail company?

Also, could I claim the £48 VAT back? If so who from?

Thanks for any advice.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Watchman12

IF you can get WRITTEN proof with letter heading from a company that makes or a shop that sells the item OR trading standards > provide that proof to paypal then raise a dispute you may not have to return the item. As its against the law to sell fakes then paypal can't be complicit in the selling of fakes, by returning the item then they would be BUT you have to provide proof to them first.

Your best bet is to phone customer services and double check with them before you open a dispute.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Log in and get the code.

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent OR just say the word 'Agent'".

In the UK its free from any landline phone.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Watchman12

IF you can get WRITTEN proof with letter heading from a company that makes or a shop that sells the item OR trading standards > provide that proof to paypal then raise a dispute you may not have to return the item. As its against the law to sell fakes then paypal can't be complicit in the selling of fakes, by returning the item then they would be BUT you have to provide proof to them first.

Your best bet is to phone customer services and double check with them before you open a dispute.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Log in and get the code.

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent OR just say the word 'Agent'".

In the UK its free from any landline phone.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.