Friend sent payment as 'Friends & Family' by mistake

NTerri17
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

A friend of mine has sent a payment of £125 to a buyer as 'friends and family' by mistake. She purchased a Louis Vuitton purse and it turns out it is a fake and has all the wrong labels referring to a completely different product. I told her to dispute the transaction however upon trying this she found out she'd selected the wrong category. She has contacted the seller twice, both times have been ignored. I feel really bad for her and want to help but I have no idea what steps to take. The original post from the seller was made through Facebook's market place.

Thanks in advance.

Nicci

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NTerri17

A “gift” (or personal payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member they should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates buyer protection at the same time. Scam sellers often ask for payment that way as they know this.

The sender also risks having their paypal account limited for using this option when purchasing goods.

Their only hope is if they funded their paypal payment via a credit card then tell them to contact their card issuer and see if they will help them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.