Customs Advice and Dishonest Selling

MaxAJD
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

I'd like a little bit of advice on a purchase I made. 10 days ago I ordered a £300 piece of camera equipment from a website with a .co.uk web address. I checked to see if the company were in fact based in the UK and the contact details include an address for London.

Anyway, after making the purchase I discovered that the company were based in the US. I tried emailing and ringing on the first day to cancel the order  because I didn't want to be stung with custom fees (because there is no cancellation option on their website) and nobody answered the phone and nobody replied to my email. I tried contacting them through Paypal and they said to ring. The next day I get through to a customer service representative who says that the order has been processed and already sent and can't be cancelled. I stressed that the website was misleading but he said that the customs fees were included in their shipping price (which was free but on my order statement it said it was £53.63). The price on the order statement also has '(not taxable)' underneath. 

Fast forward to today, I tracked my order and it states that a 'Tracking Event' occurred which was 'Custom Charges Raised'. I will be absolutely furious if I then have to pay to receive something I tried to cancel.

My question is; What are my options here? Do I have to pay the fees and lose out or can I make a claim against the company? I have the customer service rep's name and ID number, although I don't reckon that'll support my case much.

I feel I've been forced to buy something since the moment I bought it all because their website and customer service are out dated and poor. 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.