Communications with PalPal following an escalation

DukeofBurgundy
Contributor
Contributor

I have used Paypal a long time and it is one of my preferred methods of payment due to the apparent protections their service gives to consumers. Unfortunately, there has been an issue with a recent transaction, where I am somewhat unhappy at the current situation. I bought an electronic item from a well known Chinese online retailer who are notorious for their poor service that goes with their low prices (having used them before a couple of times, I though this was exaggerated but now I am a convert to the general opinon), and it was DOA. I was hoping that they would just send me another item out, but instead they offered me a partial refund of less than a third of the value if I went away and agreed to close the Paypal case I had opened. I immediately called Paypal (another complaint is that Paypal's phone system deliberately obstructs you from speaking to a human operator and thus costing them money, and I had to select options that were nothing to do with my actual issue to get to an operator), and they advised me not to do that as I would forfeit all future interventions from Paypal if I did that, and the operator seemed upbeat on their ability to get the retailer to send me a working replacment. After this, I had one more communication from Paypal where they informed me of the retailer's offer of a refund of 10% of the value to resolve the issue, which I refused. I then heard nothing further for days, until I suddenly received an email from Paypal warning me that time was running out for myself to send the item back to China and provide a tracking number, and that the case would be closed if I did not meet the deadline. I had no indication I had to return the item, or that an agreement had been reached between Gearbest and Paypal. I would like to find out what is going on, and particularly what is going on with the postage of my returning the item to China with guaranteed delivery. After all this time, expense and inconvenience, I think at the least I should have this refunded. However, trying to navigate the Paypal site for communicating with them is entirely circular and you just return again and again to the same options. Replying to their emails cause them to be returned to you, there is no means of contacting Paypal within the case, or no webmail page (that I can see) to contact customer services. The only way I can see if to go through their convoluted and long phone system and lie my way to an operator again. Does anyone have any advice on this? I am tired of wasting my time on this needlessly and just want a resolution.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DukeofBurgundy

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute if paypal find in your favour then they can get you a full refund on return of the item back to the seller.

So if you buy from a business in this country and they don't refund your return postage then you have the option of the small claims court etc.

But if you choose to buy from a private or international seller then you won't have that option. So you need to read up on buyer protection and then risk assess your transactions.

Paypal offers some buyer and some seller protection but the onus is on you to read how much coverage you have and then select your sellers yourself.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DukeofBurgundy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but this says nothing about the very poor communications from Paypal and the way they deliberately make it as hard as possible to get through to a human advisor rather than the circular 'help' on the phone / website or even make an email address available. This was my primary issue.

Login to Me Too

Maureenj25
Contributor
Contributor

Can't offer any help I'm afraid but can commiserate Pay Pal have just done pretty much the same to me only after supplier in China refused a full refund I got them involved and they told me to return the item, I did and supplied them with the Tracking No then a photo of the actual Proof of Posting the tracking number states the parcel is in Bejing and due to be delivered to the customer within a few days Paypal have now advised they are closing the claim as my documentation was invalid I have no idea what I did but the parcel was sent exactly as they requested and at the last minute they've bailed on me leaving me high and dry I don't even have the rubbish goods The main thing that gets me is they give no explanation and there's no way of getting an explanation  I have had no problem with Paypal up until now and am sure I won't again as I won't use someone who lures me into a lose lose situation.  I'm gutted but they've shafted me !

@DukeofBurgundy wrote:

I have used Paypal a long time and it is one of my preferred methods of payment due to the apparent protections their service gives to consumers. Unfortunately, there has been an issue with a recent transaction, where I am somewhat unhappy at the current situation. I bought an electronic item from a well known Chinese online retailer who are notorious for their poor service that goes with their low prices (having used them before a couple of times, I though this was exaggerated but now I am a convert to the general opinon), and it was DOA. I was hoping that they would just send me another item out, but instead they offered me a partial refund of less than a third of the value if I went away and agreed to close the Paypal case I had opened. I immediately called Paypal (another complaint is that Paypal's phone system deliberately obstructs you from speaking to a human operator and thus costing them money, and I had to select options that were nothing to do with my actual issue to get to an operator), and they advised me not to do that as I would forfeit all future interventions from Paypal if I did that, and the operator seemed upbeat on their ability to get the retailer to send me a working replacment. After this, I had one more communication from Paypal where they informed me of the retailer's offer of a refund of 10% of the value to resolve the issue, which I refused. I then heard nothing further for days, until I suddenly received an email from Paypal warning me that time was running out for myself to send the item back to China and provide a tracking number, and that the case would be closed if I did not meet the deadline. I had no indication I had to return the item, or that an agreement had been reached between Gearbest and Paypal. I would like to find out what is going on, and particularly what is going on with the postage of my returning the item to China with guaranteed delivery. After all this time, expense and inconvenience, I think at the least I should have this refunded. However, trying to navigate the Paypal site for communicating with them is entirely circular and you just return again and again to the same options. Replying to their emails cause them to be returned to you, there is no means of contacting Paypal within the case, or no webmail page (that I can see) to contact customer services. The only way I can see if to go through their convoluted and long phone system and lie my way to an operator again. Does anyone have any advice on this? I am tired of wasting my time on this needlessly and just want a resolution.

Login to Me Too

Tricia69
Contributor
Contributor

I have to say that I sympathise with you. I have tried, relentlessly and endlessly to contact ANYONE at PayPal in attempt to query a transaction, not authorised by me.  It is a complete impossibility to contact PayPal!!!!!   Endlessly Going around in circles - they have no intention of interacting with their public!!!  PayPal are interested in one thing and ONLY ONE THING - taking their cut for perfectly straightforward transactions - done electronically by their 'customers'.  There is NO PERSONAL ASSISTANCE OFFERED.  PayPal is a Money Processing Machine.  Anything slightly outside thei 'LIST' is not catered for!!!!  I have no doubt the reason their Operators warned you off when you dared to discuss a subject not strictly within their 'heading subject' is because they have a set list of question/answers from which they respond to callers  -  probably paid minimum wage and effectively Call Centre employees who are not able to discuss anything other than the items, questions, answers on THEIR LIST!!!!

I am a private seller who sent a PERFECT, NEW, NEVER WORN pair of very expensive shoes to an eBay buyer, who requested a lower price as 'he wanted to buy the shoes for his wife' - the price quoted on eBay was less than half the original cost, but I foolishly agreed to an even lower price, the shoes were carefully packed and posted and on the day the buyer received them he contacted me to say the shoes were damaged, squashed and had what he described as a "manufacturing defect".  The photographs of the shoes which were on eBay with the advert shows the perfect condition of the shoes, which had none of the problems the buyer claims.  I have sold countless high end quality products on eBay, my feedback is 100% positive and I would not and have not supplied the allegedly damaged goods this buyer claims.  It.appears PayPal take their cut from their seller, but then - in my case - take the buyer's complaint (NOT     IN THIS CASE).  So, if it makes things any easier for you, as a Seller it appears I am to be 'shafted' also.  The buyer still has the shoes, money is being taken from my PayPal account to refund the buyer (over £200).  I appear to have NO authority to prevent this and I am unable to discuss the case with PayPal.   eBay will consider the case, AFTER the refund is made and my goods are returned.  If the shoes returned to me are damaged (meaning that they cannot possibly be the ones I supplied - and on the eBay Community Forum I am advised it is not unknown for Rogue buyers to purchase perfect goods to replace damaged goods in their possession, which they then return to the seller saying the goods were damaged when they arrived)!!!!!  That such people exist is a complete mystery to me.  Sad people.  

However it it appears that both the Selling Forum (eBay) AND the Money Forum (PayPal) have no scruples whatsoever and always take the easiest route to obtain their money with the least line of resistance. True public service is obviously not in their lexicon.

I have EVERY sympathy with you.  Sadly, true Customer Service takes TIME.  TIME COSTS MONEY.  Hence forums interested JUST in making money in the shortest possible time will NEVER OFFER GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!  Sad Fact of Life, which I have just learned to my great frustration and disappointment.

Sadly there will always be individuals and organisations who's ONLY goal in life is to make money by the fastest, easiest route without any conscience and without a backward glance.

All of that said we small cogs in the machine have no real power - unless we ALL join forces and boycott these Bug Boys for a week or so.  Then they would listen because it would hit their cash registers - the only thing they have any real interest in.

This is Never going to happen of course.

Meantime, we can all come to these Community Forums which they cleverly provide for us :

- to vent our frustrations

- to use the experience of other users for advice on how best to deal with problems etc.

RESULT : the organisations dispense their obligations to their public - more money saved.

LIFE and all that,  We could SCREAM LOUDLY at our Screens, Rant, Rave. Etc Etc.  Writing down one's concerns supposedly relieves stress.  By providing the Community Forums the organisations probably feel they are providing a Public Service 'Taking Care of Our Mental Wellbeing'.  Who knows?  

Keep Smiling,  Tomorrow is another day.  WE know we are RIGHT. That counts for SO MUCH.  Keeping our Integrity.  Others may try to sully it, but if we ourselves know that we are honest, fair and reliable people then the rest is so much dross. We can face life with a clear conscience.  That alone is worth more than any amount of money.  

I certainly feel feel better for airing my views - putting them 'on paper' as it were.  

I hope you you feel better to know that you are certainly not alone.

Chin up, Best foot forward, as 

Login to Me Too

Tricia69
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies for typos - late at night!!!🙄

Chin up, Best Foot Forward as my parents would have said, and as we now say to our son.  Everything that doesn't kill us makes us stronger!!!!

Tomorrow is another day.   I feel better.  Hope you do.  Life isn't always fair. Keep smiling. 

Regards. Tricia 😊

Login to Me Too

Lori_inpc
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, i think they have the absolute worst customer service i have ever seen. I cant get a # anywhere that isnt wanting to charge me to talk to them. I have sent endless e mails, so i am just going to get help settling the issue.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lori_inpc

Ways to contact customer services.
>>

1. You can click on help / contact and use the message centre option in the blue band at the top of the page.

2. You can click on help / contact and use the phone option in the blue band top of the page. (Free from UK landlines).

3. You can send them a p.m via their Facebook page @ www.facebook.com/PayPal

4. You can send them a p.m via their Twitter page @ AskPayPal for Twitter

5. You can use the message centre in your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.