received fake item - what to do now ?

fatum
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there,

I bought an adidas/diesel jeans from ebay.co.uk and the item is a fake - its very obvious (eg tags are missing, wrong materials, bonded tags vs. set tags) and local retailers confirmed that its a fake.

I used paypal and reported a conflict. The seller of the item now says that I have to send the item to him back first and then ill get my money back. Is this true? I mean how can I make sure that ill get my money back at all? Shall I send the item or is it better for me to use paypal's buyer protection?

Thanks in advance

cheers

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Cloneone
Contributor
Contributor

Must send to paypal, written documents certifying that any retailer that is false, in this case paypal will not be required to return the item.

Otherwise if you have to return the item to receive your money.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@fatum wrote:

Hey there,

I bought an adidas/diesel jeans from ebay.co.uk and the item is a fake - its very obvious (eg tags are missing, wrong materials, bonded tags vs. set tags) and local retailers confirmed that its a fake.

I used paypal and reported a conflict. The seller of the item now says that I have to send the item to him back first and then ill get my money back. Is this true? I mean how can I make sure that ill get my money back at all? Shall I send the item or is it better for me to use paypal's buyer protection?

Thanks in advance

cheers

When you send the item back, you ask the post office to add tracking to the delivery.

They'll give you a number that will allow you to track it on the website of whatever post office you're using.  Put this number in the dipute and advise when the tracking shows that the item has been delivered or refused. 

That tells Paypal that you've done what you're required to do and they'll refund you.

Login to Me Too

fatum
Contributor
Contributor

So you say I should try to solve the problem without using paypals buyers protection? For me its kind of strange sending the item back without seeing my money first and paypal not being involved!?!

Should i take pics of the jeans and do i need a written confirmation from a retailer stating that the item is a fake?

Just wanna get sure that Ill get my money back.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

Cheers

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@fatum wrote:

So you say I should try to solve the problem without using paypals buyers protection? For me its kind of strange sending the item back without seeing my money first and paypal not being involved!?!

Should i take pics of the jeans and do i need a written confirmation from a retailer stating that the item is a fake?

Just wanna get sure that Ill get my money back.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

Cheers

The  buyer protection will be there if you send the item back with DC - it covers you if the seller decides to get difficult about a refund after they receive the jeans.

Most sellers are honest and want to do a good job.  ebay and paypal both find it preferable if you and the seller can wortk things out between yourselves.

IF, however, you haven't received a refund by the 40th day after the sale, that's when you file a dispute.  Because you have the Delivery Confirmation, you'll be able to put that information in when required and succeed in the dispute.

Since you're returning the jeans, there's no need to get confirmation that they're fake - that's an either/or situation used when returning the jeans is impractial or impossible.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.