buyer received broken item in mail. i did not insure package. what next?

cmercier1111
Contributor
Contributor

my buyer received her item broken in the mail and i did not insure the package. am i covered by paypal protection? what needs to happen next? does my buyer open a claim in paypal or do i refund her money and file the claim myself? does she have to mail it back to me? someone help please. i need to know if i am covered by paypal to refund. thanks.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

lizgrisham1990
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Since it's not insured, there is pretty much one soluton -    You lose your money,   They mail the item back to you first, you verify it is broke, then refund them.. There is nothing else you can do.. You can confirm this with eBay or PayPal before accepting my answer, but i'm about 90% sure... Absolutely nothing you can do.

Login to Me Too

cmercier1111
Contributor
Contributor

ok, i was afraid of that but why does paypal have all these advertisements all over the place saying never received your item? received damaged purchases, whatever, it just makes it sound like you (buyer and seller) are covered. that is where i am stumped. i always wondered, because of their advertising, whether i was wasting money on insurance or if paypal covered me. any other thoughts? thanks so much!

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

"ok, i was afraid of that but why does paypal have all these advertisements all over the place saying never received your item? received damaged purchases, whatever, it just makes it sound like you (buyer and seller) are covered"

Notice the word "received", how would a seller receive , a seller sends/mails

The paypal seller protection covers;  Items not received & Unauthorized transactions.

These are the major two of the Seller Protection Plan;

1.) A seller must ship with online viewable D/C for  sales less than $250.00, for $250.00 or more you need Signature Confirmation. 

2.) The tracking (D/C) must show deliver to the address provded by Paypal. 

Login to Me Too

cmercier1111
Contributor
Contributor

ok, i still have something on my head. i just clicked on the paypal protection plan and it says it covered:

The item was damaged en route to its destination.
Example: You bought a beautiful antique lamp - and it arrived in pieces

that is my case. can someone tell me what to do? i think the buyer needs to log in to paypal and then open a dispute? thanks for your help!

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@cmercier1111 wrote:

ok, i still have something on my head. i just clicked on the paypal protection plan and it says it covered:

The item was damaged en route to its destination.
Example: You bought a beautiful antique lamp - and it arrived in pieces

that is my case. can someone tell me what to do? i think the buyer needs to log in to paypal and then open a dispute? thanks for your help!

Again, the

"The item was damaged en route to its destination. Example: You bought a beautiful antique lamp - and it arrived in pieces" 

is for BUYER protection.  It protects the BUYER, not you the seller.

Seller protection only covers INR and unauthorized transactions

Login to Me Too

cmercier1111
Contributor
Contributor

ok, duhhh! i see what you are saying, i am the buyer. but my question is how can i direct my buyer to use paypal protection that is there for her? i need to advise her what to do. login to paypal and open a dispute? thanks for all your help!

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I would send them an e-mail asking  politely for them to send a picture of the broken item. 

After seeing it is broken I would just refund the complete payment.

If you still want the broken item back , you should refund in full and also send them funds to cover the postage return

To refund, go to the details page of the original payment and click on the refund link.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.