What to do if seller refuses to refund money for item he canceled?

inuyashalover21
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and have a problem. I bought an xbox 360 controller a few days ago and paid for it a few minutes after. It was an instant transation and he got the money right away. I just got a message today that he wants to cancel the item since he "Lost it". I really think its because he did not get what he wanted. Anyway back on topic. I agreed to cancel it and was hoping ebay would refund the moeny back to the account but a new message from ebay popped up saying " If you already paid, but didn't receive a refund yet, please contact the seller to request a refund.". What should I do if he does not refund the money back? How do I go about getting a refund?

Thank you for your time guys,

Steve

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

Watchout
Contributor
Contributor

Your bank will side with you, so give them a call.

Login to Me Too

inuyashalover21
Contributor
Contributor

OK so its been a while since I last posted. The sellers deadline was yesterday (1/2/11) and it still shows that they are waiting to hear from him. I can't believe it takes this long to get a refund for an transaction he cancelled. Its almost  a month since he cancelled this transaction.

Login to Me Too

Watchout
Contributor
Contributor

Well you know the drill.... contact your bank/credit card company and file the charge back dispute. 

I received my provisional credit's from my bank 2 week's ago.  I finally got my refund, so I called the bank to let

them know to cancel the charge back.

In the end I think I waited maybe 7 day's total.  Why should I wait for my money while Ebay/Paypal hold's onto it forever.

Login to Me Too

jimmyzshack
Contributor
Contributor

Just open a case with paypal as item was never received.

Login to Me Too

Watchout
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Sorry to here that you too have been taken by Ebay Seller.

Was the funds for the transaction transferred from your bank?  If  so, immediately contact them and let them know you want to dispute that transaction.   You should get a provisional credit they will contact seller and if he can not provide tracking you win.

Let us know how that goes.  You can also file Internet Crime Complaint at  http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Login to Me Too

sweetcks
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem over the summer and using the Ebay resolution center I never received a refund.

Login to Me Too

Watchout
Contributor
Contributor

Did Ebay find in favor of the seller? Did you file appeal with Ebay after losing?  I would check with your bank and

see if they will still dispute for you after this long.  Let them know you did not know you could dispute with bank/credit card company and just figured you were frauded.  I would also file a complaint with Internet Crime Complaint Center .ic3.gov.  Can't hurt, right?

Login to Me Too

Lucky7_Deals
Contributor
Contributor

To inuyashalover21, I have to say it's interesting how you've posted messages here recently regarding cases as both the buyer and seller. Hopefully these are different cases that we're talking about here. In this particular scenario, where you are the buyer and have paid, and then agreed to cancel the transaction at the seller's request, you should try to file an item not received claim with PayPal, or perhaps with ebay's new buyer protection service. However, when you file either of these claims, you do have to be aware of the fact that you agreed to cancel the transaction, so you may not be eligible for receiving compensation from these claims. If this turns out to be the case, then you may want to call PayPal/ebay and speak to an agent to explain your situation, and they may be able to manually retrieve your money for you.

As for why the seller hasn't voluntarily refunded your payment, well it may be due to the fact that he forgot to do so, or like you, believes that ebay/PayPal will automatically take care of it since the transaction was officially cancelled. Or it's also possible that he is simply trying to take advantage of the situation since quite a number of days has passed, and he now feels that he can get away with taking your money. That's really the problem with ebay and PayPal. You have both buyers and sellers trying to take advantage of situations when they feel like they can get away with something. With the way the world has become as of late, it's a dog eat dog mentality that has carried over even in the predominantly small scale online commerce sector. Good old fashioned honesty in business seems to be a thing of the past.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.