What to do if seller refuses to refund money for item he canceled?

inuyashalover21
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and have a problem. I bought an xbox 360 controller a few days ago and paid for it a few minutes after. It was an instant transation and he got the money right away. I just got a message today that he wants to cancel the item since he "Lost it". I really think its because he did not get what he wanted. Anyway back on topic. I agreed to cancel it and was hoping ebay would refund the moeny back to the account but a new message from ebay popped up saying " If you already paid, but didn't receive a refund yet, please contact the seller to request a refund.". What should I do if he does not refund the money back? How do I go about getting a refund?

Thank you for your time guys,

Steve

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

JoeDaPlumber

In my case, PayPal won't issue a refund until I, the buyer, submit a tracking number proving the item was returned to the seller.  Since I did not receive the item paid for a month ago, I can't return the item nor submit a tracking number.

I don't believe PayPal has a contingency protecting buyers in canceled transactions or buyers exploited through non-receipt of merchandise.

The fraudulent seller gets to keep the money they received from PayPal; and, PayPal keeps the transaction fee, all they appear to care about in my case.  In my case, filing a claim has proved to be a waste of time.  The seller never bothered to respond once during the process.  Nonetheless, PayPal continues to protect illegitimate seller and refuses to refund my payment.

Login to Me Too

inuyashalover21
Contributor
Contributor

That stinks. Well I hope we both get our refund. I knew I should not have bidded because he never sold an item and only has 6 feedbacks from sellers. Thought I would give a benefit of a dubt.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

inuyashalover21 and JoeDaPlumber,

I'm sorry you both had a bad experience. Welcome to the community forums!

inuyashalover21 - If your seller is being unresponsive or uncooperative, you can file a dispute in the Resolution Center for Item Not Received. If the seller has never sold an item before, he may be confused about how to issue a refund, or he may need a "nudge" to get going on the refund. Filing a dispute often gives the seller that nudge needed.

JoeDaPlumber - Buyer shipback is not required in claims of Non-receipt. Did you accidentally file a claim of Significantly Not as Described?

Keep in mind when reviewing Watchout's suggestion, that filing a stop payment with your bank may end up costing you a fee through your bank, and also will prevent you from being able to pursue protection from PayPal for the transaction.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Watchout
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmmmm..... I'm on the phone with my bank right now disputing 2 transactions.  I asked the bank rep if there is a charge to me.  Answer:NO.   In 10 days I will have provisional credit and most likely will win.  Give that seller a nudge and file a dispute with your financial institute immediately.  Less time for refund than Paypal resolution and unbiased.

Be careful taking advise from anyone that benefit's from Ebay/Paypal.  These people provide general boiler plate responses that keep looping you through the system.  Stop the cylcle, free to dispute with your credit card or financial institute the funds were withdrawn from. 

Teach these sellers that if they won't resolve their issues within 5-7 days then you are left with no other alternative but to bypass the Paypal dispute resolution which can often take you outside of your timeframe to dispute the charges.  You have a lot better chance of winning than waiting for Paypal to resolve.  You'll be happy you did it and a big weight will be removed from your shoulder's.  Paypal might not like it because if you do win with your bank/credit card.  The seller/Paypal is charged a chargeback fee whether you win or lose your dispute.   It won't be long before so many chargeback's makes Paypal listen to the buyer and not these criminal sellers.

These 2 seller's will be sorry they did not just send me a return label to ship the wrong item's back to them. 

P.S. I work in the financial industry so I know these statement's to be true.

Login to Me Too

Cass
Contributor
Contributor

How do I stop any further paypal payments to a seller ? I bought software services for a monthly $20 payment and the seller has refused to honor the sale. How do I cancel the monthly payments ? I cannot find anything here about how to do that ?

Login to Me Too

inuyashalover21
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Watchout, It was taken from my bank account. Will call the bank and hope they can get my money back. I did file a dispute on paypal as "Item not recieved". I have to wait till the 23rd to escalate it. I also contacted the member and told him if he needed help refunding the money then I would give him step by step instructions. He has not answered my emails.

Login to Me Too

Watchout
Contributor
Contributor

Seller probably won't respond. Well that is a great start. I believe that your bank will have paperwork to mail to you so that will take a few days.  Escalate your paypal resolution dispute as soon as you can.  If they decide in your favor, then don't send the paperwork back  and call your bank to let them know you settled but you are still waiting for the refund from Paypal.

I'm pretty tired of my seller so I removed my bank account information and the credit card they have on file was a pre-paid credit card and I had already closed it when my balance was zero because they charge $5 a month. I only got it for freaking Paypal to buy my Christmas gifts.   Told the seller I'm dealing with you I don't want to go through the hassle of sending you back your wrong item you shipped me to find out I'm out more money and then getting jerked around with the return of the wrong item.  I'm filing dispute paperwork in a few days and will have to buy the item I already paid for from another seller for twice as much as I paid thru this seller.

Login to Me Too

Watchout
Contributor
Contributor

We need more information on the seller not honoring the sale.  What do you mean by this?  You never received the software?  Please let me know more so I can give an informed decision.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

inuyashalover21
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean Watchout?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.