Virtual good charge back.

Risbell
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so i sold a virtual good to a guy (A game account) for $50USD. I delivered everything as promised and they buyer noted this in his comments when the payment was made. About 2 days later he files for a charge back thus putting my account into a negative balance. I escalated the dispute to a claim and am awaiting the other party's response. He has about a day and a half left until the dead line.

What are my chances of winning this little dispute?

Below is the comment he left when the payment was made. (I have noted this to paypal)

"This is money owed for a virtual good that I have already received. I will never, under any circumstances, claim/charge this money back. If I were to claim/charge this money back, it is an attempt of cheating this person out of his owed money and the money should remain with this person."

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Believe it or not I have actually won a virtual goods chargeback within the past 4 months so it is possible.  What you want is screen shots of all communication, especially one containing his IP address along with a geo location  showing the IP came from the same region as his confirmed address.  The chargeback is out of PP's hands but most credit card companies are more fair these days when presented with factual evidence showing fraud from their client.

Good Luck

P.S.

If you have windows 7 simply use the snipping tool to capture screen shots.

Login to Me Too

Risbell
Contributor
Contributor

Well it says that after the other party's response that paypals claims center will review the case. IMO I really don't see how this could go his way when the comment he left clearly says that he has recieved the virtual good. What happens if he does not respond before his given deadline?

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

If the buyer does not respond, he may win or lose.

As a seller you have no protection from Paypal - if this is a dispute, you may be sunk.

If it is a chageback, then it's up in the air.

Be aware that Credit Card companies almost always find in favour of their buyer on a provisional basis, so they can get their hands on the money for safe-keeping while they make their real decision in about 75 days.

Kahuna's case is the exception, not the rule.  He likely won because he submitted all the evidence he needed, organized in a logical format to prove the buyer received the goods to a CC Company that saw it his way.  Good job.

Login to Me Too

liuchess
Contributor
Contributor

It's because of incidents like this that I wrote a PayPal Virtual FAQ. Please read when you have time so you can learn some tricks to prevent this from happening to you agian.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Watercooler/PayPal-Virtual-FAQ/m-p/99870

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.