Surprised by how little protection a seller gets with Paypal!

jking32
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, the buyers on Paypal are in control and it does not seem to matter what is right and wrong.  I sold a piece of consumer electronics on Ebay, perfect shape, sold it through Paypal and the buyer was not patient enough or smart enough to make it work and claims I sold him junk.  He finally returns it and guess what it works fine.  I get negative feedback almost immediatly in Ebay and Paypal does an "investigation" gives my money back to the buyer (Gee why have a no refunds block in Ebay??)and both Ebay and Paypal keep my fees.  Thanks for the hard work in "investingating" Paypal, I appreciate you looking out for me.  Ebay is now the same way as sellers can't respond to bogus feedback by buyers.  Looks like they have seen my last dollar as a seller.  Not that they give a flip.  I never understood why people got so mad and now I get it.  

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

fmk509
Contributor
Contributor
Be glad you got your item back. All what happened to you happened to, PLUS I didn't get my item back!! The first time was a claim through eBay-the customer sent a fake item back, so she got her money back and kept the item!! The second claim was through Pay Pal and they gave the buyer back his money AND let him keep the item. It is criminal what they are doing and the government so far is letting them get away with it!! It is not safe for sellers on eBay or Pay Pal anymore!!
Login to Me Too

mtngirl
New Community Member

I agree, lets go after them.

Login to Me Too

mtngirl
New Community Member

I am a new seller on E-bay and have been scamed by buyers in the first two weeks of sales. The buyer says they have not received the items and I have not had items returned to me via USPS. Refunds were made to the buyers via PayPal and the buyer gets to keep the item too. 

Login to Me Too

jking32
Contributor
Contributor

If your running a business, the first thing you have to do is never send anything via the USPS.  If you absolutely have to, then you better get a delivery confirmation with any Package.  UPS or Fedex.  It cost a little more, but at least you can find out where the heck the package you sent went. 

I am having a hard time believing that Paypal or Ebay are officially taking the stance that customers don't have to return their items.  I got mine back, but they emailed me and asked me to confirm I had received my item back so they could process the customers return of funds.  Refunding the customers money without making them return the item sounds flat criminal.  I think that could actually be considered theft.  It certainly is not up to Ebay or Paypal to give away your property without some form of payment.

Login to Me Too

fmk509
Contributor
Contributor
B

@jking32 wrote:

If your running a business, the first thing you have to do is never send anything via the USPS.  If you absolutely have to, then you better get a delivery confirmation with any Package.  UPS or Fedex.  It cost a little more, but at least you can find out where the heck the package you sent went. 

I am having a hard time believing that Paypal or Ebay are officially taking the stance that customers don't have to return their items.  I got mine back, but they emailed me and asked me to confirm I had received my item back so they could process the customers return of funds.  Refunding the customers money without making them return the item sounds flat criminal.  I think that could actually be considered theft.  It certainly is not up to Ebay or Paypal to give away your property without some form of payment.

Believe it!! It's happening ALL THE TIME!!! Just check through all the messages on the boards!! It has happened to me and it will eventually happen to you!!
Login to Me Too

Dreambo
New Community Member

What gets me is that if a refund is needed to give a buyer, the seller, me, gets charged $.30. I know, nickle and dime, but what nerve~!

Login to Me Too

dpxlr8
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah.  Same thing happened to me.  Sold a used part in perfect working condition (no returns) on ebay for $340.  The buyer didn't like the condition, despite it being just as described, filed a claim with PayPal, and got all of the money back.  PayPal made it WAY too easy for him - all he had to do was type up a complaint. 

Fortunately, in my situation, the buyer decided to be greedy and kept a portion of the goods, so I was eligible for a reversal of the decision.  I did EVENTUALLY get my money back, but I couldn't believe how difficult they made it for me.  I had to go to the police, have an appraisal done and get a notarized affadavit.  It seems to me that, when a buyer makes a purchase (which clearly states 'no returns') at their own risk, THEY should be the ones who have to work hard to prove their case.  I have to say though, that ebay refunded the transaction fee without a fight.  My main struggle was with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.