Should I file a dispute?

yathe
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered DVDs on ebay and paid through PayPal on July  14. Two days later,  I  contacted  the  seller  asking  if  the  items have  been  shipped.  No  response.  A  few  hours  later,  I  got  an  email  from Ebay  saying  that  the  listing  for  my  transaction  has  been  removed.  I checked  why  it  was  deleted, and as it  turns  out,  the  seller  is  all  of  a  sudden "no  longer  a  registered  user." Shady, right?

So  I  immediately  opened  a  case  file  on  Ebay.  A  couple  hours  later,  the case  file  was  closed  because  the  seller  "has  offered  a  full  refund" through  PayPal.  I  then  get  an  email  from  PayPal  saying  "Your  PayPal payment  has  been  refunded,"  however,  still  pending. This  was  July 16.

So  then on July  20th,  I  checked  my  email;  PayPal  sent  me  this:

An  eCheck  payment  from  [seller]  was  declined  by  the  sender's  bank.  We
will  automatically  try  to  process  this  payment  again  in  3  business  days.
It  then  usually  takes  3-5  days  for  the  money  to  be  deposited  into  your
account.  Please  do  not  ship  items  until  you  receive  payment.

I  am  going  to  wait  the  3  days;  however,  my  question  is,  should  I  file  a dispute  if  I  don't  get  anything  by  that  time?  I had already opened a case on Ebay, but like I said, they closed it when the seller offered a "refund" (which has been pending/declined). Should I dispute this through PayPal as well? The  seller's  no  response makes me suspicious.

Thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

yathe
Contributor
Contributor

I called Paypal, who then directed me to Ebay, who then wanted to reconnect me to Paypal.. and on and on.

But after a couple of weeks, and hours and hours on hold - I finally got my refund. Whew. Thank you Justine from Ebay.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

No, you can't file another dispute.

Paypal will keep trying the account several times ( and the seller is racking up NSF charges each time) and then they'll pay you out of their pocket and submit the amount to their collection agency.

Login to Me Too

yathe
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response! I guess I'm just a little worried because this seller hasn't contacted me at all, in addition to the pending date being pushed back to until August.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Well, I hate to say it, but it almiost IS August.

There goes another summer......

Login to Me Too

yathe
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, now the status says the refund has been "removed" and I received an e-mail from PayPal saying to contact the seller..... -.-

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Well, I'm totally confused.

Phone paypal and ask them what they're talking about.

Their number comes up when you click on 'contact us'.

Login to Me Too
Solved

yathe
Contributor
Contributor

I called Paypal, who then directed me to Ebay, who then wanted to reconnect me to Paypal.. and on and on.

But after a couple of weeks, and hours and hours on hold - I finally got my refund. Whew. Thank you Justine from Ebay.

Login to Me Too

nickaburke
New Community Member

I think your best bet is to wait the three days before taking action. Be wary of those ebay users with little to no feedback.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.