Sellers Beware-Pay Pal Ripped me off on eBay for $106.99 and let the customer keep the product!

fmk509
Contributor
Contributor

SELLERS BEWARE!! In the last 6 months I have been ripped off by eBay AND Pay Pal. The first was with a book. I sold a lady a First Edition book. She filed a claim saying I sold her a Book Club edition. She lied. eBay sided with her and gave her back her $75 as long as she shipped the item back. Only problem with that, is that she sent me back the wrong product. She kept my First Edition and her $75 and sent me back the book club edition. The second just happened tonight. I sold a guy a Toronto Blue Jays jersey back in November for $106.99. Brand new with tags. He got the item, left me positive feedback. 3 weeks later he files a claim with Pay Pal for a "item not as described" claims it was a fraudulent item. I contacted eBay, they said I had to contact Pay Pal. Pay Pal tells me to contact the buyer. I did so, except that the number he gave was a fax # and there are 2 names on the account-one name for eBay and one for Pay Pal. I filed a policy violation with eBay and they shut his account down. They also told me what to write to Pay Pal in an email, including the fake phone # and the fact that eBay had closed his account. Jump ahead 2 months(yes it took THAT long and they held up my $106.99 the whole time) Despite all the info I gave them and all the cooperation I provided, they refunded the **bleep** the full $106.99 and let him keep the jersey. In 6 months I have lost almost $200 and from what I am seeing here, it is an increasing trend. People are catching on that there is a nice fat loop-hole in the system and that you can steal from sellers and get away with it. It's like eBay and Pay Pal have given them permission to steal from us. Anyone have any idea what we sellers can do to protect ourselves? I know I cannot afford to stay in business if  this continues. Sales are low enough lately with the economy--add losses from theft and I am out of business very soon.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

hairdressr
Contributor
Contributor

I am dealing with an issue similar to this one. Except the buyer is claiming they never received the item, but when they filed their claim with their credit card company he's now stating that he received it but it wasn't as discribed or damaged. Paypal had me fill out a survey on how I like them and what they could change. I told them as soon as this was resolved I will no longer be doing business with them. I have had a PERFECT record. Every shipment EXCEPT THIS ONE has made it to where it is supposed to go. Even with me shipping to Indonesia! But one guy in Michigan supposedly didn't get his item, even though I have shipping proof, paypal is still going to most likely side with him. Especially after EVERYTHING I've read on here about every single seller getting **bleep**ed. I have no faith in Paypal if they reward him this money ($215). I'm out of work, and this was how I was paying my bills, then because of this one guy I had to turn around and sell some of my furniture just to put that money back in to Paypal to cover this.

Buyers should have to prove they didn't receive their items just like we have to prove we shipped them. They can open up a claim with their Post Office (yes, they give you a claim number and everything) to try and find this "missing" item. I think that it's rediculous that all someone has to do is say "oh I never got it" and paypal just gives them their money back. It's crazy. We as sellers have to jump through hoops to not win, and all they have to do is say "nope, didn't get it". It's bull.

Login to Me Too

JayT
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal is ridiculous.  I also had Paypal side with a buyer's claim that the item was not as described, and was told by a rep that if a buyer files a claim as "Significantly Not As Described", it is almost always decided in the buyer's favour.  They don't have to prove anything, just make the claim!  Supposedly I am supposed to received the item back in the condition it went out, but in the meantime, they have charged my credit card for the refund.  And the item was mailed 11/27/10 (keep in mind that almost three months have passed and this is not resolved), and it was finally picked up by international buyer on 12/27/10.  Her original claim filed on 1/3/11 was item not received, but when I told her I had online confirmation of delivery, claim suddenly changed to SNAD.  Should I mention that my return policy is returns accepted if you contact me immediatly after receiving the item? Without going into boring details, I told Paypal her reasons for wanting to cancel transaction (high customs fee and she won almost exact item for A LOT LESS money), and sent pictures of item condition.  Needless to say, over one month passed before PP found in buyers favour.  I am supposed to have the item back within 10-14 days of the decision... And if buyer doesn't provide proof ot item being returned with tracking case will be closed...  Let's see what happens.  I did hear that contacting my State Attorney General should help, which I may do.  To sum it up, buyer found item for less and knows  that Paypal will always grant SNAD claims to buyers.  SELLER PROTECTION IS A JOKE.  I don't plan to sell much longer which is a shame.  If they fairly evaluated claims, okay, but they don't.

Login to Me Too

scottbigbucks
Contributor
Contributor

Ebay and Paypal are buyers markets now the dispute process has gotten even worse they don't even require the buyer to return the item. i just settled a dispute and paypal held my money immediately didn't even talk about the buyer returning the item that option is now gone they expect you to refund the money without the buyer even suppling a tracking number of return. They don't even talk about return just straight up want you to refund the buyer period Sellers now have even less protection from being ripped off on Ebay.

Login to Me Too

JayT
Contributor
Contributor

My Advice:  

• CLOSE Your PAYPAL ACCOUNT (you can use other online services for payment)
  • Contact Your STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL and BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU
  • Contact CONSUMER  PROTECTION BOARD
  • CLOSE YOUR E-BAY ACCOUNT and let them know why (they claim seller protection if buyer proves item was as described, but if buyer files w Paypal, they don't do anything (so why claim to have Seller Protection?) -or at least complain to E-Bay about your situation

I am all for using the media or joining a Class Action Suit as well.

Really, if all sellers would just close their Paypal accounts, for one week, or even one month, Paypal would listen, come people, remember the power of the Boycott.  If you are a seller, think of it as a vacation.  Anyone want to pick a month to really do that?

Login to Me Too

dw2547
Contributor
Contributor

Good ideas, I have already set up the BBB complaint, but as I am from UK & item sold was to a USA buyer, I am struggling. I like the idea of a load of us leaving Ebay all together, BUT even if a couple of hundred of us did this together, would they really miss them, I think we need thousands, which is probably impossible unless we keep pushing this, MEDIA is probably our best option.

Which media would anyone recemend for a few hundred of us to complain to at the same time. Email address would be good.

Login to Me Too

sheilacomplaint
Contributor
Contributor

I just got ripped off as well by paypal. Buyer bought item on ebay then 60 days after possession of product, disputed with c/c saying SNAD. Paypal never even would dispute on my behalf. I am now out $500 since they didn't even make him return the item! We need to do something about this!!!

Login to Me Too

JayT
Contributor
Contributor

60 days later!!!!!! It gets crazier and crazier!  I would do a boycott, but as a PP said, we will need the media to get the word out there.  I cannot even imagine the money they are bringing in each day, and a large majority comes from sellers on E-Bay.  Paypal's policies are ambiguous and difficult to even find.  They love to advertise Seller Protection, but then when you can finally find their policy, you will see that there is no real seller protection.  I keep meaning to change to BidPay.  Maybe this week-end I will get to doing that as these stories have reminded me how vulnerable all sellers really are when using Paypal.  Actually, even E-Bay is the same.  They also claim seller protection, but once a claim is filed with Paypal, any of that protection is gone.  Back to the media, any ideas as to the best outlet?

Login to Me Too

Navydad
Contributor
Contributor

POST THE DATE.....I WILL STOP SELLING AND CLOSE MY PAY PAL ACCOUNT IN A NEW YORK MINUTE. ONE BIG SCAM IS WHAT IT IS. THEY ALWAYS SIDE WITH THE BUYER. YEARS AGO WE SOLD AN ANTIQUE RADIO TO A REAL SLICK GUY. HE SCAMMED US, SAID IT WAS NOT AS DESCRIBED. HE SENT BACK A RADIO THAT DID NOT EVEN LOOK LIKE THE ONE WE SOLD (FOR $8,000.00 BY THE WAY!!!!!) WE HAD NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER. WE BEGGED PAY PAL TO LOOK AT THE LISTING AND THE PICTURE OF THE RADIO HE SENT BACK TO US. WE HAD NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO TRY AND RE-SELL THE RADIO HE SENT BACK TO US AND GOT ONLY $2,500.00 FOR IT. AND WOULD YOU BELIEVE THE SCAM ARTIST TRIED TO BUY IT BACK FROM US? BUT I ADDED HIM TO THE DO NOT BID LIST. YOU REALLY HAVE TO WATCH. IT IS SCARY OUT THERE AND EBAY AND PAY PAL ARE ONE IN THE SAME NOW. TRY AND USE THE WORDS "MONEY ORDER" IN YOUR LISTING. TRY IT! ANYWHERE ON THE LISTING! EVEN IN THE DESCRIPTION. I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY KNOW IT SO FAST BUT THEY WILL NOT LET YOU LIST IT. THEY SAY IT IS TO PROTECT YOU BECAUSE OF SO MANY FAKE MONEY ORDERS OUT THERE. ANYONE THAT SENDS AN ITEM BEFORE CHECKING TO SEE IF A MONEY ORDER IS GOOD OR A CHECK HAS CLEARED DESERVES TO LOOSE THE MONEY. THIS IS ALL DONE TO "FORCE" YOU TO USE PAY PAL. ONE BIG SCAM AND WE ALL GO FOR IT. JUST LIKE WHAT IS GOING ON IN WASHINGTON DC TODAY. WE SIT BACK AND LET THEM TAKE MORE AND MORE AND MORE. PRETTY SOON EBAY WILL BE NO MORE ANYWAY. IF DC HAS IT'S WAY WE WILL BE PAYING TAXES THROUGH THE NOSE TO SELL ON EBAY.

JUST SAY THE DAY, WEEK, MONTH, I WILL TURN THIS ACCOUNT OFF IN A SECOND! THERE IS POWER IN NUMBERS. LET'S DO IT AND STOP  TALKING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

donncath
New Community Member

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.