Seller taking advantage of Ebay dispute rules

captainroy
Contributor
Contributor

I recently ran in to my first problem after years of buying on Ebay.  I'm disappointed Ebay and Paypal refuse to help me, and I'm even more disturbed that the seller in this case seems to be conducting some sort of fraud using Ebay's own rules against me. 

The lowdown:  I purchased 12 cans of infant formula on Ebay...a very expensive kind, for $285.  When it arrived, there were only 10 cans.  I contacted the seller and she apologized and told me it was an oversight  and she'd send the remaining two cans immediately.  Given this reassurance, we started using the 10 cans, expecting the remaining two to arrive any day.  Weeks go by and we never get the remaining cans and the seller now refuses to respond to any of my e-mails. 

I opened a dispute on Ebay and their answer was they would only give me a refund if I returned the 10 cans to the seller.  Since the seller basically lulled us in to using the stuff we already received, it's obviously impossible to return it.  I think the seller knows that and now knows they have us over a barrel.  Ebay basically won't help us because we can't return it, and Paypal won't help because they say it's being addressed by Ebay. 

Are there any other options we have?  The only thing I can think of is to file a claim with my credit card company, but I don't know how that will work. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Oboe
Contributor
Contributor

Did you file a claim with Paypal? I'd go that route myself. They might attempt to make you return the stuff- but it also might light a fire under the seller and get them to follow through.

Login to Me Too

captainroy
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal won't let me dispute it because it says I already opened a dispute in Ebay.  Weird.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.