Seller stopped payment on dispute refund

TheChief73
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I'll try to make my long, sad story short and to the point.

I bought a copy of Windows 7 off from a auction site, upon receiving it I thought it was counterfeit, but the seller constantly insisted that it was genuine.

So I opened it and low and behold it was a fake.

I filed a NASD for a counterfeit and I won, for a refund of the sale amount.

Now today I get a email saying that the seller bank account has declined the refund!!!

Now what I need to know is am I going to be refunded and protected by Paypal since the claim was resolved and I was supposed to be refunded the sale amount or am I going to be out the money one way or another if the seller keeps messing around like this?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello TheChief73,

Welcome!

Sorry to hear you had to go through all that 😞

When you get a chance, can you check in your PayPal transaction history to see if that transaction was reversed back to you?  The funds would go to back the credit card if that was your original form of payment. 

It's possible that the refund didn't clear the seller's bank--and the system would send out that email, however our Purchase Protection should kick in & refund you. 

If you can check out to see if the refund applied still, that would be great!

Hope this helps,

Lilly

Login to Me Too

TheChief73
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Lilly for your reply and help.

I see the refund is now on the CC statement that I had originally billed the item to. All is well and happy in my world again now that I dont have to worry about this anymore. What a relief.

I just got really worried when I got the email this morning from paypal saying this:

"An eCheck payment from [seller name] was declined by the sender's bank. We will automatically try to process this payment again in 3 business days. It then usually takes 3-5 days for the money to be deposited into your account.

Also, in my Paypal account, it shows this(see below). I didnt think it meant anything because of the above email, I thought the transaction had failed to go through, but I have been refunded from what I can tell, as long as it is not reversed somehow from the sellers bank.

Jul 29, 2011 Reversal From
[Sellers Name]
Completed 
 Reversal From Emily Prather 8SY5849522541322N

$42.99 USD

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

I can certainly understand your concern. 

The status means that the funds were reversed back to you for that transaction. 

It should be smooth sailing from here 😉

Lilly

Login to Me Too

TheChief73
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again Lilly,

I just wanted to update this as I have received another email from Paypal that is quite worrying in the ominous warning and complete lack of information/explanation of the situatuion. Here is all it says:

"The refund sent by [Seller's Name/Email] did not clear from the sender's bank. You have not received funds for this payment in your PayPal account. Please contact [Sellers Name] regarding this refund."

The confusing part is my case says I will be refunded, my Paypal account says I have been refunded, and a refund appers on my CC statment. Now my question is will it stay in my account is will Paypal or the sellers bank somehow reverse the refund. I cannot believe the vague information that Paypal has been providing me and the seemingly cut and paste emails that hopefully do not apply to my specific situation.

I am glad Paypal has took the time to resolve this case for me, but the complete lack of clear information provided by them on the matter is not acceptable and is made worse by the cut and paste emails I have been sent that either have no real relavance to my particular situation or may indicate I have a problem, but the thing is thats not made clear and I just dont know.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello!

With the information you are providing, it sounds like everything is perfectly fine.  The seller's refund did not complete, and the emails sent out are standard emails for that scenerio.  With there being a claim, the funds were paid out from the Purchase Protection.

We will not pull the funds back off of your card.  The case should be closed at this point.  🙂

Lilly

Login to Me Too

howardc
New Community Member

Received email from Paypal that moneys will be posted to my account how do I get that posted to my checking account. I have received moneys from Papal to my checking before.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.