Seller Loses Claim of Not as Described AFTER Buyer Shipped to 3rd Party!

fredcatsmommy
Contributor
Contributor

I thought that not as described required the buyer to check out the merchandise purchased.  Instead, my buyer opened the package without testing the item (zune speaker dock) and then sent it to a 3rd party.  Month and a half later and PayPal says buyer is entitled to a full refund!  Did I miss something?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I know of no requirement that the buyer has to personally check the merchandise out.

He had the third party check it out.  Nothing wrong with that.

Login to Me Too

fredcatsmommy
Contributor
Contributor

How can the seller be responsible for a shipment that they had no control over?! 

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

You had complete control over the item that you sold.  All you had to do was list exactly what you were selling.

If the buyer resold the item and misrepresented it, that is not your responsibility, but you didn't offer any proof to paypal that they DID relist it or did misrepresent it.

Login to Me Too

fredcatsmommy
Contributor
Contributor

the buyer didn't sell it, but shipped it on as a gift.  I thought the seller was protected if item is shipped to a confirmed address; the fact buyer can be granted a refund against seller after having shipped the item on to some third-party, and only afterwards made claim that item was not as described, is incredulous.  Sellers are now guarantors of items they sell irrespective of what the buyer does with it.  Is there a way of finding out what response the buyer provided PayPal upon their request for her to respond to my statement.  Really a biased process when the buyer is assumed wronged by the seller on the buyer's say-so, and the seller has no opportunity to respond to that.  And I have proof that the buyer shipped it on before someone discovered the alleged problem; I even offered to forward all emails from the buyer substantiating my opposition to her dispute but never heard anything about how to submit those emails.  So now I'm supposed to wait for the case to be closed to appeal, after she's been refunded the money.  amazing!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Sellers are now guarantors of items they sell irrespective of what the buyer does with it.

Yes, but they always were.  If the item was reshipped in the box that you sent it in, there should be no reason why it got damaged the second time.

I thought the seller was protected if item is shipped to a confirmed address

Against an "item not received" claim, yes - this is a different type of claim.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.