Ripped off by buyer and Paypal is to blame.

crenshaw
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a couple of items on Ebay, this guy won, paid for the items a day later.  Nothing odd.   THEN 4 days later,  after the package has arrived at his house, he files an unauthorized payment claim and Paypal gave him the money back and I am out 2 wireless routers.  He has never responded to my emails about returning them, nor did Paypal.

How is this legal and why would Paypal do such a thing after I submitted proof that he had them in his hands?

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

rvperformance
Contributor
Contributor

ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I no longer accept PayPal payments over $100.00. Can't afford to, Resolution Center is a JOKE!

Login to Me Too

greattraveller
Contributor
Contributor

@rvperformance wrote:

ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I no longer accept PayPal payments over $100.00. Can't afford to, Resolution Center is a JOKE!

i agree resolution center is a joke specially for sellers. i had listed 2 laptops and few expensive item off ebay and recently pulled them off and decided to sell them on craigslist . it may take little long but atleast it will be a safe cash transaction.

here with paypal/ebay you never know when your money will be out of your account no matter how long ago you sold it. sometime for chargeback , inr or snad .....its really getting hard to afford such losses. i am not gonna sell anything worth over $100 on ebay just heads up . specially internationl shipping is even much disaster ebay encourage sellers to sell internationally but when a claims comes up ebay /paypal/ usps backs out easily & only the seller is left to tolerate everything. but when the payment arrives ebay & paypal gets their money and buyer gets his item only the seller is left to fight for his own payment being held ..........what a joke.

Login to Me Too

RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

"  I am definately interested in a class action lawsuit."

I am too. This has happened to many people and needs to be stopped. It happened to me last night/this morning for $200 for my old World Of Warcraft account.

Login to Me Too

Luke86
Contributor
Contributor

I also sold my World of Warcraft account for $325 and had the money taken from me. One person is saying that PayPal is advocating for us, and that it's the credit card companies which make the decision. My problem with that is this: This was my first time actually using PayPal. I see, in my account, that I have $312 after the fee. Maybe I'm dumb, but to me, that means that I HAVE $312 IN MY ACCOUNT! Where PayPal is at fault is that it doesn't say '$312 pending.' Or 'This money is not yet guaranteed.' Or something that would imply that I should wait until I give them that which they 'bought.'

There are clearly many scammers who use this to their advantage. As far as I'm concerned, PayPal is an accomplice until it does something incredibly simple like include 'Pending' to the money you receive until it's secured, with a link explaining how that money could be withdrawn if the buyer wishes.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Paypal already does that.

It's cleartly set out in the User Agreement, which nobody reads.

I assume WoW has forums - I suggest that you guys that have been ripped off start posting on all the forums that you cannot use Paypal to sell virtual goods.

You'll have to keep it up for a long time - perhaps make it part of your siggy.  Eventually people may learn.

Login to Me Too

Luke86
Contributor
Contributor

That's ridiculous. It's like going to a restaurant, paying upfront for food, and then having them deny your food, saying, 'if you had read our terms of service, you would have know we could do this.' Obviously, I wouldn't be a repeat customer at that restaurant...

PayPal wants to be an easy, intuitive service. That is why it seems straightforward when you first use it. But really, who reads all the terms of conditions and user agreements, etc, for every service and product they use? The user agreement is out of the way, and the closest thing I found in it was is, 'We do not guarantee the identity of any User or ensure that a buyer or a Seller will complete a transaction.'

That's very ambiguous and I would have never equated that with 'money in your account is not actually money in your account.' There may be something else that's more difficult to find, but I was not expecting this as a policy, and it would be absurd to expect every customer to remember every aspect of the user agreement, among many other 'legal agreements.'

There is no excuse for this. Almost any non-biased party would agree.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

In case you haven't noticed, this isn't a restaurant.

You already agreed that you had read and understood the agreement when you opened your account.

Paypal cannot protect you if you won't lift a finger to protect yourself.

And I'm not wasting any more time on this.

Login to Me Too

kristinamramana
New Community Member

I had the same thing happen to me!!

I can't get anywhere with Paypal and am extremely frustrated to say the least.

What can we do??

Any suggestions greatly welcome.

Login to Me Too

crenshaw
Contributor
Contributor

I'm at a loss.  Ebay does nothing, Paypal does nothing and I can't get anywhere with the buyer.  So it's going to be stop using Ebay and Paypal or just not accept Paypal.  At least if the scammers send me a fake money order, I'm not losing my items.

Two Power Sellers replied to me today and they didn't even know they had a claim filed and lost their money.  Another got lucky and hadn't shipped the items yet.

To bad you can't ask for a picture of the delivery as the buyer signs for it.  That would be funny sending that proof of delivery to Ebay and Paypal.  A little humor for the scammed.

Login to Me Too

bambino
New Community Member

I'm so frustrated with paypal.  I sold some engine parts the buyer lived close so he decided to pick them up.  All was good my account was credited the right amount and confirmed.  The next day after my stuff was gone paypal reversed the transaction saying they didn't believe the buyer made this purchase.  I contacted the buyer he said his account was debited and the money was not returned to him so he didn't know what to tell me.  Paypal is holding the funds $824.00 the other guys has my stuff and I'm out to dry.   Something is very wrong here, the buyer now seems real fishy maybe he was coming fraud and knew it.  Paypal has the money but wont release it to anyone yet but I spoke to customer services and they said they'll most likely return it to the buyer, and they can't make him return the parts since they we're picked up not shipped.   I'm out a whole lot **bleep** about it and seems like I'm getting **bleep**ed.  I'm not sure what the purpose of getting a confirmation on a transaction is if they can simply reverse it.   This is definitely not a safe way to buy or sale.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.