Ripped off by buyer and Paypal is to blame.

crenshaw
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a couple of items on Ebay, this guy won, paid for the items a day later.  Nothing odd.   THEN 4 days later,  after the package has arrived at his house, he files an unauthorized payment claim and Paypal gave him the money back and I am out 2 wireless routers.  He has never responded to my emails about returning them, nor did Paypal.

How is this legal and why would Paypal do such a thing after I submitted proof that he had them in his hands?

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

greattraveller
Contributor
Contributor

you should have let him buy off ebay and make him pay in person at the time of pickup. that is the proper way for pickup.

i agree there is definately a problem i just lost a case from the buyer for item not received. i had receipt and proff of shipment but still lost the item as well as money.

Login to Me Too

Rocinante01
Contributor
Contributor

I was also ripped off by Paypal by them taking side with a buyer.

I sold a piece of artwork for $500, charging $95 to have it professionally packaged to ensure it would arrive safely.

A gallery in Philadelphia bought the item, and after not paying for several days emails me, refusing to pay the shipping fees that they legally agreed to adhere to, and insisted I remove the frame and mounting, and ship it out "as cheap as possible".  Since he was the only potential buyer, I agreed and sent it per their specifications.  Allegedly, it was damaged in shipping (because they insisted it be sent the cheapest way possible!), and proceeded to call me every rude name in the book because of it (how was this my fault?!?!)

Attempting to reassure them, I explained that the item was fully insured and they could reclaim their losses by filing a claim with the shipping agent.  Instead, they file a claim against ME on Ebay, immediately putting a $500 hold on my account...which through the domino effect, I was unable to pay for three transactions as a result!

They held the funds until the buyer returned the item, at which point they released the funds back to the buyer and my account was now overdrawn $500.  Plus, I now have a damaged work of art that's now worth nothing, AND the buyer stole the certificate of authenticy that they can now attach to ANY reprint and claim it's real!

Threatening to sue Paypal for even allowing the claim, when the buyer was DIRECTLY INSTRUCTED to file a claim with the shipping agent, Paypal then credited me "in good faith" $300 for the issue, though I'm still out $200 and a painting that's actually worth over $1000 that is now worth nothing.

Paypal, you need to stop trying to play judge and jury.  Both you and Ebay are failing your customers, and there is room for another company to come in and compete, while taking much better care of your customers.  Every time you institute some new rule, it's poorly disguisted as "buyer protection", and only keeps your customers from accessing money that they have every right to have.

Paypal's service has gone from a 9 (10 years ago!) to less than a 1 in my book!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@Rocinante01 wrote:

I was also ripped off by Paypal by them taking side with a buyer.

I sold a piece of artwork for $500, charging $95 to have it professionally packaged to ensure it would arrive safely.

A gallery in Philadelphia bought the item, and after not paying for several days emails me, refusing to pay the shipping fees that they legally agreed to adhere to, and insisted I remove the frame and mounting, and ship it out "as cheap as possible".  Since he was the only potential buyer, I agreed and sent it per their specifications.  Allegedly, it was damaged in shipping (because they insisted it be sent the cheapest way possible!), and proceeded to call me every rude name in the book because of it (how was this my fault?!?!)

Attempting to reassure them, I explained that the item was fully insured and they could reclaim their losses by filing a claim with the shipping agent.  Instead, they file a claim against ME on Ebay, immediately putting a $500 hold on my account...which through the domino effect, I was unable to pay for three transactions as a result!

They held the funds until the buyer returned the item, at which point they released the funds back to the buyer and my account was now overdrawn $500.  Plus, I now have a damaged work of art that's now worth nothing, AND the buyer stole the certificate of authenticy that they can now attach to ANY reprint and claim it's real!

Threatening to sue Paypal for even allowing the claim, when the buyer was DIRECTLY INSTRUCTED to file a claim with the shipping agent, Paypal then credited me "in good faith" $300 for the issue, though I'm still out $200 and a painting that's actually worth over $1000 that is now worth nothing.

Paypal, you need to stop trying to play judge and jury.  Both you and Ebay are failing your customers, and there is room for another company to come in and compete, while taking much better care of your customers.  Every time you institute some new rule, it's poorly disguisted as "buyer protection", and only keeps your customers from accessing money that they have every right to have.

Paypal's service has gone from a 9 (10 years ago!) to less than a 1 in my book!

Is this your first sale?

Because you did a BUNCH of things wrong.

1. NEVER allow the buyer to dictate shipping - it's your legal responsibility to get the item to the buyer in the condition which you sold it.  Buyers don't know diddly about shipping.  If the buyer won't pay, then DON'T SHIP.

2. The buyer never files the insurance claim - you do.  Insurnce is there to protect the SELLER - the buyer's insurance is Paypal.

Paypal, you need to stop trying to play judge and jury

Smiley Very Happy

Who else IS THERE?

I'm actually surprised that Paypal gave you any of the money - you were totally at fault here.

Login to Me Too

danimal00100

sounds like you need to drive your **bleep** to this persons house or place of residence and handle that problem. When you ship an item make sure you have the package signed for and inspected before signing that way if they say that is is messed up they wouldnt of signed for it.  All i know is if someone tries to burn me i have something for there **bleep**...

Login to Me Too

crenshaw
Contributor
Contributor

OK, it's getting out of hand here with a couple of attitudes.  This topic is closed.

It's done, over with.

Just keep fighting the false claims people.  That's all we can do.  Good luck.

Login to Me Too

OoogaBooga
New Community Member

Let me ask.......wouldn't transferring your funds from PayPal to your bank account every night solve this problem?  There'd be no money for PayPal to refund, yes?

Login to Me Too

Photographer
Contributor
Contributor

We are all falling victim to this unfair practice of our money being held but we can start taking control of this challenge. Leave feedback or follow up feedback on each buyer stating their timeframes in leaving feedback. This will help us determine whether to cancel a bid of a buyer who doesn't care about leaving feedback and this will also bring awareness to this issue for us. Buyers need to understand how important the feedback issue is to sellers. If there are chronic buyers who don't leave feedback, don't sell to them as best as you can, especially if its a high priced item. Also, state in your auction that you will leave feedback stating their timeframe in leaving feedback for sellers and if we start cancelling their bids unless they have a good record of leaving feedback, they will start complying. I took a long and hard thought about this issue and its not paypal thats making this hard, its buyers who aren't aware of this process or who just dont care. If you need an example of what to put in your auction, check my lens at ebay 180516914281. I advised them of what I said above and if we start doing this, we will have less problems getting our money. The same way we set buyer requirements with feedback numbers is the same approach with this.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@Photographer wrote:

We are all falling victim to this unfair practice of our money being held but we can start taking control of this challenge. Leave feedback or follow up feedback on each buyer stating their timeframes in leaving feedback. This will help us determine whether to cancel a bid of a buyer who doesn't care about leaving feedback and this will also bring awareness to this issue for us. Buyers need to understand how important the feedback issue is to sellers. If there are chronic buyers who don't leave feedback, don't sell to them as best as you can, especially if its a high priced item. Also, state in your auction that you will leave feedback stating their timeframe in leaving feedback for sellers and if we start cancelling their bids unless they have a good record of leaving feedback, they will start complying. I took a long and hard thought about this issue and its not paypal thats making this hard, its buyers who aren't aware of this process or who just dont care. If you need an example of what to put in your auction, check my lens at ebay 180516914281. I advised them of what I said above and if we start doing this, we will have less problems getting our money. The same way we set buyer requirements with feedback numbers is the same approach with this.

As I stated earlier, your listing is a violation of ebay's rules - don't be surprised when it gets pulled.

Login to Me Too

tiaria
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, non-receipt of service ripoff:  I had no idea virtual services are not covered by PayPal.

In my case, GreenGeeks webhosting deducted $95.40 from my account and I received nothing - nada - zip - zilch.  They took my money and subsequent contacts with them have given me nothing but grief.

Now they refuse to even cancel the phantom "account" (which I have no proof of other than a PayPal deduction) under their money-back guarantee.

The burden is on me to prove I received nothing.  PayPal offers no protection for virtual purchases, which I failed to realize before paying.  All I had read were glowing accounts of GreenGeeks "excellent customer service."

This fraud needs to stop.

Login to Me Too

techseller
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal needs an escrow option.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.