Paypal sent my wrong address

Knibitz
Contributor
Contributor

Long story short, I purchased an item off of ebay that cost 10$ to ship to me, had it shipped to my house at 29672. I double checked on my paypal and ebay receipts and both of them say my shipping address was 29672.

Well, I checked tracking and it arrived in rock hill, South Carolina - 29733. Four hours away. It was at my college address.

Well, tehre was no way my seller could have gotten my campus address without ebay or paypal sending it to them, so I contacted Ebay saying I wanted my money back for the shipping,  who told me "Contact Paypal, they will cover you"

So I sent paypal an email and it said I would get a reply in most likely 24 hours, but tops 72... it's been over 72 hours now and I haven't heard a peep 😕

I am requesting a reimbursement of my shipping from paypal because of their glitch or error.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I don't see why paypal should reimburse you since you're the one that didn't change his adress when he came home.

Login to Me Too

Knibitz
Contributor
Contributor

I think you should ready my post again...  you are misunderstanding.

My address was set to my home address for this transaction, both when prompted by ebay and paypal to set it.

My receipts for this transaction (ebay and paypal) show that the shipping address chosen is my 29672 address.

the shipping address my seller received in the automated email from paypal for shipping my item was the 29733 address.

Somewhere there was a glitch in the paypal system that sent the 29733 address to my seller after I had set the 29672 address in both of the requested places in the check out.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Well, paypal doesn't go around making addresses up.

The system will apply the shipping address you used as your primary address - that's set in your profile tab and can override any information you add later - it's the verified address and the one the system has the most confidence in.

Login to Me Too

Knibitz
Contributor
Contributor

No, you're right, they dont, they pulled the wrong address out of the system.

Both the 29672 and the 29733 address are in my paypal account, they just pulled the wrong one to send.

I've had numerous things shipped in the past weekend from ebay and all of them have arrived at my house just fine, except for this one item.

This was paypal's glitch. I did everything I normally do, just like I did my other winning auctions, but it still messed up.

I'm calling paypal today to settle this. I'll post the follow up after.

Login to Me Too

iamsalad

I had pretty much the same thing happen to me and when I posted about it on Facebook two friends confirmed that the same thing had happened to them. I ordered two items last week, and because I had left a job where I occassionally used to have items sent I was very cautious about making sure my address was correct during check out. It even asked me to confirm the shipping address and showed my home address. My primary address on both Ebay and Paypal are my home address yet Paypal gave both of the sellers the wrong address (the wrong address is NOT a shipping address and it doesn't give me the option of deleting it)

Because neither seller posted my address in their confirmation letters I didn't know until I went to package tracking and saw that the items were marked undeliverable and being sent back to the sender that there was a problem.

Now I'm stuck with having to go out and buy the items I had purchased on Ebay (because I need them by the weekend) and STILL having to try to resolve issues with the sellers. (And possibly end up paying for shipping a second time on an item I will no longer need?)

There seem to be a lot of posts about this, is this a Paypal glitch that they're not fixing? Why did I confirm my email address when purchasing if they're going to give the seller a different one?

Login to Me Too

kaptainkarl2
Contributor
Contributor

A few weeks ago I ordered something and it went to a weird non existant address, so I double checked Paypal and my address was correct there. Then last week I ordered 2 items, double checked the shipping address when I purchased so that I wouldn't have any problems. Now today when I looked up the orders they were both sent to the same **bleep** address, so I looked at my address' in Paypal and it turns out the **bleep** address is half of my confirmed address and half of my secondary address. Now I have to repay shipping and wait for the packages to be redelivered because of Paypal database crap-outs. WTF Looks like its time to use Amazon.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_WarrenG
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

kaptainkarl2,

I know how annoying it is not to receive the item you are expecting.  I had this same thing happen to me before I became an employee of PayPal.  Since I have been here, I have learned the reason for the majority of these mis-shipments.

When a payment is made from a site where a person may have a profile or entered in their shipping information in the past, that site will provide that shipping address to PayPal to be combined with the payment.

For example, on eBay a person's profile has both a contact address and a shipping address.  If the contact address is updated but the shipping address is not, the shipping address for your eBay items may still be inaccurate.

Please double check the shipping addresses for any sites you may be purchasing from to make sure the item is shipped to the correct address.  If this is not the case, please contact PayPal directly and we will be more than happy to help diagnose why this may be happening.

Hope this information helps out!

PayPal_WarrenG

Login to Me Too

Knibitz
Contributor
Contributor

no, paypal never did help!

I've since given up, since you're not worth my time.

I was run in circles for WEEKS! Constantly having my case closed and me having to call and complain to get my case back opened.

My case was constantly closed after my seller could produce a tracking number, even though the tracking number obviously displayed the wrong zipcode. Everytime I got someone on the phone, they'd reopen the claim and tell me that they'd look at, but then would close it again for the same reason.

After 3 weeks, I was sick and tired of running in circles and gave up.

Lucky for me, My post office was able to forward me my package cheaply.

God forbid my package went to another country.

Paypal did not help, and I imagine would have kept up their stupid game till I gave up, if I continued to persist. 

Login to Me Too

kaptainkarl2
Contributor
Contributor

My bad, I checked Ebay and my address was messed up there....Sorry thats what I call user error, thanks for the quick response,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.