Payment Reversed?

mdnevins
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item off of Ebay, or should I say tried to buy an item off of Ebay. I navigated through the paypal process with no problem but when I clicked to complete the transaction an error message comes up. I have bought stuff from Ebay in the past and had never seen this happen so I thought it was strange. I then got an e-mail from paypal with a reciept for payment. I verified that it was indeed a paypal e-mail. The reciept was indeed for the item I tried to purchase. I clicked on the link in the reciept and it brought me to Ebays website but page said the item is no longer available. My Ebay transaction history does not show this transaction taking place. My checking account has been debited for this item. I then check my paypal account and it says that the payment has been reversed. My bank account does not reflect this reversal. Did I just get scammed?

Sorry about the long post but I tried to include all pertinent information.

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sometimes glitches do occur with PP and the "lost" transaction will more than likely appear within a few days.  I would highly urge you to phone PP directly and ask them as they can view the transaction details live and give you feedback on the transaction.  To save you time, ask to be transferred to a U.S. call center when the PP employee answers.  

Login to Me Too

mdnevins
Contributor
Contributor

Just got off the phone with both paypal and ebay. I'm being told that the seller reversed the payment.  Also said that the sellr didn't give a reason but this happens most commonly when the seller doesn't actually have the item in stock. I know this isn't an ebay forum but maybe someone here knows, isn't that against ebay policy?

Login to Me Too

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Wow, you would think it would be against policy.  At least you were able to dig to the root cause.

Login to Me Too

vashleystarr
Contributor
Contributor

The information you got form both PayPal and eBay is an absolute ly. Since Sunday April 10th we are facing the same issue as sellers. The reversed payment is immediate. The seller does not interact with the payment at all. PayPal stated it was a site update issue on eBay's side. eBay states they have no such issue.

It would make more sense that PayPal would have the reason for the reversal - they do not. However after 4 days of calling the representative simply stated that it is a known issue and there is no ETA to have it resolved. 

We are pretty much left in limbo with quite a few frustrated buyers who are really interested in the items we sell on eBay.

Login to Me Too

linzhoubunny
Contributor
Contributor

Now I have a similar situation. The payment has been reversed as item is no longer available. But my PayPal balance is still 0.00USD. I am wondering if anyone knows how many days it takes for the refund to appear in my balance. Thank you so much!Smiley Surprised

Login to Me Too

mdnevins
Contributor
Contributor

The credit is now reflected on my bank account. I had placed the initial order on friday. So if you count only working days it two days for the issue resolve itself.  I never saw a balance on my paypal account, It was an immediate payment from my debit card, then directly to the seller.  When I logged onto my paypal today the balance still said zero. I logged onto my bank account and the credit was showing that it processed today.  It may differ for you depending on how you applyed the money to your paypal account.  I use my debit card, it may work differently using credit or direct from your bank account.  Either way the issue is resolved.  I kinda freaked out though initially cause I smelled scam when it says payment reversed and no reason given and bank account didn't reflect any refund.  Definitely relieved it's all taken care of.  Still changing my passwords though just to be safe.

Be careful out there people.

Login to Me Too

linzhoubunny
Contributor
Contributor

Today I found the balance appeared on my PayPal account. I guess it is because I opted to transfer money from my bank account, not a credit card. Thank you for answering the question:-)

Login to Me Too

jermspam
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is probly nothing to do with what ur talking about but i sent my money thru my credit card, it was completed but yet it says its unclaimed wich means the person hasent picked it up yet arent they supposed to pick it up right away?

Login to Me Too

linzhoubunny
Contributor
Contributor

I have also had "unclaimed" payment before. In my case the reason is that the seller provided an incorrect PayPal account to me so she is not able to claim the payment. You might need to contact the seller first. I hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.