PayPal supports thieves

MFR220
Contributor
Contributor

So I listed a video game account on craigslist and was contacted by a buyer offering $425 for the account. We agree, He sends payment through paypal, he obtains my account, unregisters my information and registers his to take ownership of the account. One hour later, he says he can't log on. I offer a full refund for the new account registration and to no surprise I receive no response. I log onto the game using my cousin's account and see the buyer playing on my former account so he obviously lied. He then files dispute with paypal, Paypal takes the money away. This dispute lasted for maybe 2 weeks, maybe a little less and today, the funds have been reversed. I have lost my account, didn't get paid, and lost the item I originally needed the money for and the only reason I even sold my game account. Great Job PayPal. We'll see if the authorities' investigation is a little more thorough. And this is definitely the last time I ever use or suggest paypal. Actually, now that I think about it, I hadn't used paypal in a long time because about 3-4 years ago, I remember purchasing an item off ebay which I received an empty box with a tracking number (no signature required) and I didn't get my money back on that either. So just beware, PayPal isn't as secure as they say they are. And if you're a scammer, just make sure you're shipping out empty boxes or log into your paypal account from another IP address or something and claim it wasn't you that sent the payment. Paypal will surely side with you. And if anyone is interested in proof, I will gladly email you copies of the scam sale from my buyer and I will gladly send you copies of my paypal account showing the reversal. And by the way, who knows what lies the other party says because paypal doesn't even show you. They receive the info and complete their investigation and no chance for the other party to refute comments.

Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21

spoolin01
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for your loss.  Like the OP, I suspect you don't feel that PPs unilateral assertion of the user agreement - especially where any 'interpretation' is required - is the whole story when it comes to what's right, fair, or ethical.  So long as PP interjects themselves into disputes where they have next to no knowledge of the circumstances, this will be the outcome regularly.  However, I'm sure they consider your loss a small price to pay to encourage buyers to believe that transactions via PP are just like Macy's - no questions asked when it comes to refunds.  Good news for the scammers..

That their intention is that you consider such losses to be par for the course in the interest of furthering the modality is clear.  I wouldn't expect that to change soon - providing you with much in the way of risk management information and options has never been very evident in their system, and what little there is seems to be evaporating bit by bit.  To me, all you can do is just what PP does.  Exploit the lack of transparency and remediation that's inherent in the process when you can, for your own benefit.  At least with your own website, you can just stop using PP.

Login to Me Too

czimmer
New Community Member

Yes, paypal AND ebay seem to support scammer buyers. I accidently sent the wrong item. The very same day the buyer got the item, he didn't even email me first, but the same day within 3 hours, he filed a claim with paypal. Paypal immediately refunded his money without question. Then after I finally found out what was going on, I was out $50.00. According to ebay buyer rules, he was suppose to send the wrong item back, but he didn't and still refuses to. So he comes out smelling like a rose. He has all his money back, and a very nice stapler that he is holding hostage. I have contacted ebay, filed complaints, sent numerous emails.No response. Now, I just put an item on ebay, and I put I will take money orders or check, and ebay made me remove that. Can only ecept paypal, credit card, and something else I never heard of. I only sell once in a while. I am a farmer by trade. So I can't afford the  equipment to eccept credit cards. I am almost ready to call it quits with ebay. What can I do now ? Thanks paypal . You **bleep**ed me again. How can I get away from paypal ? Or how can we make them change how they do business and start paying attention to our complaints ? I have tried a dozen times to get a superviser, or a person who has the authority or balls to do their  job. There doesn't seem to be such a person. As long as they get a pay check, why should they care. Someone needs to start another auction place on the internet to take the place of ebay. I will just start selling on craigs list. I have done ok there before.

Login to Me Too

FEM
New Community Member

Yes totally agree.

I will no longer be a customer of Ebay or PAYPAL!

I now have been on both ends. As a seller, I sold a textbook to a buyer who claimed she never received it and was refunded right away. She e-mailed me saying she received it late and her husband had to buy another book.

She NEVER sent the textbook back to me and closed ALL her ebay/e-mail/paypal accounts so I could no longer try to get the book back or contact her.

Last month and I am currently disputing as we speak...

As a buyer, I purchased a purse that was not the size that was advertised so I immediately returned it (3 hours after receiving it) so that the seller didn't think I used it and the seller said he would refund me my money. He NEVER refunded the money and he DID receive the purse back and it is back on EBAY for Sale!!!!!!!  So he has my money and has the purse and is selling the purse again!

I filed 2 claims since he closed down the 1st one  saying it was resolved and Paypal says there is nothing they can do.

Paypal rep actually told me to contact the Police because it is theft?!?!?!?

Wow! I got it BOTH SIDES! This is unbelievable!

No need to use EBAY or PAYPAL UNLESS I WANT SOMEONE TO STEAL FROM ME AND KEEP MY  MONEY.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

jimmyzshack
Contributor
Contributor

I guess i'll see how many time i have to appeal this and bbb complaints i have to file to get a straight answer.

Where is the policy on live animals?

How can you just refund someone who has shown no picture or other proof that the animal is dead? I'm sure liveaquaria.com doesn't have to jump through these hoops.

Login to Me Too

lolathechecker
New Community Member

it could be alot worse, i sold a $700 puppy to a lady in montana. she filed a dispute saying that the puppy was sickly and deformed???? WTF??? i have pictures of the healthy puppy and i have statements from 9 other buyers saying that their puppy was perfectly healthy. so how is it that she is the only one who got a sck puppy? also, why does TSA require health screens if they dont hold up in situations like this? i have vet papers showing that the pup was healthy when shipped. now im out over $900 due to her wanting a free puppy and all the fees associated with paypals crappy protection services.

Login to Me Too

jimmyzshack
Contributor
Contributor

that sounds like the craigslist scam, let me guess they said they where disabled. If this is the same one Palpal knows good and well that it is a scam.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@jimmyzshack wrote:

paypal just refunded someone who bought a fish ($150 fish) from my website without a picture or anything proving that the fish was dead. Now show me where that is in the "legal terms"

There is no seller protection for SNAD complaints, which yours was, thats why you lost the complaint.

Login to Me Too

spoolin01
Contributor
Contributor

His question regarded standards for supporting the buyer's SNAD dispute, not seller protection.  Are you saying PP's policy now is to grant all SNAD claims, because they are not covered under seller protection?

Login to Me Too

jimmyzshack
Contributor
Contributor

paypal just can't answer simple questions. They have no control of themselfs and have become 'accessory' to theft

Can't show me anywhere how the decision was made in the "legal terms" how the animal was "snad" I've emailed about 6 times now and they just keep sending me an email of how that they can't require the buyer to send the fish back lol.

Never asked once for the fish to be returned. Just a picture of the dead fish (which i bet is swimming around in a fish tank right now)  as required by the policy of our website and they only way you could prove that it is "snad"

I guess if i get another copy paste answer i'll start filing Attorney General and BBB complaints. I plan to get my companies money back or i will cost paypal in time and resorces for it.

Login to Me Too

wolfdaddy205
Contributor
Contributor

,,same boat, my days with my "pal" are certainly nearing the end. NOT IMPRESSED :MAD:

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.