My seller says package arrived opened and empty-what do I do next?

lizizhere
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an item and shipped it delivery confirmation to the buyer. When he got the package he says it was damaged and empty. I requested pictures of damage and notice of damage from postoffice. He sends me a picture of the shipping tube with no damage but the end not on it. The only thing type of documentaion is a handwritten note on the tube, no signature from postal employee of proof of damage. This is my 1st experience with this and I'm not sure how to proceed-advice please.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Oh no!  With no insurance, it could wind up being a learning experience, but I would still reach out to USPS. 

If there was a hand written note, it makes me wonder if USPS marked it as "received empty," meaning they understand it may have been damaged in transit. 

I'm sorry this transaction hasn't gone as planned Smiley Sad

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

File an insurance claim through USPS and let USPS know you want any insurance pay out to be sent to you, not the buyer.

Then refund the buyer using the "Issue Refund" link in the transaction details.

Make sure you keep in touch with your buyer to help the process along.

Adrian

Login to Me Too

lizizhere
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't have insurance on it, can I still file a claim or was that an expensive learning experience?

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Oh no!  With no insurance, it could wind up being a learning experience, but I would still reach out to USPS. 

If there was a hand written note, it makes me wonder if USPS marked it as "received empty," meaning they understand it may have been damaged in transit. 

I'm sorry this transaction hasn't gone as planned Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

lizizhere
Contributor
Contributor

There was a scribbled note on the tube stating recieved damaged and a date. Didn't say empty but I suppose it was. I just refunded my buyer but will try to get ahold of USPS.

Thank you for the response and take care-

Liz

Login to Me Too

drwattsaudiolab
Contributor
Contributor

please read me posting about how ebay and pay pal helped give me the shaft.and i had insured the package so the buyer end up with double the jackpot.and i had no way to even read their feed back because they had listed it as private.especially  no help from ebay or paypal .my numerous messages when unanwsered and unreturned.i know that ebay has live reps to talk to because i had an issue with my account and i spoke with a gentleman over the phone the was not a computer.so i know that the will selectivly assist people.It must be one of ebays MARKETING STRATEGIES.QUICK FIXES!!!!!!!!!  

Login to Me Too

anyone

I shipped an item on september 7th with economy shipping to New York and I left my feedback after that. My costumer opened a case, he says he did not get the item. I have a recipt and I told him I sent it. He asks me if you have recipt send the tracking number. He just payed economy shipping and how he can ask the tracking number i really do not know. The item cost 29.00. what shold I do? Please some one help me.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards! 

I would recommend contacting the post office to see if the package can be located.

PayPal recommends online tracking information (with signature confirmation once the value of the purchase reaches a certain point) to provide unbiased, third-party documentation that the item has been received.  This information allows us to protect sellers from unwarranted claims that an item has not been received.  I would strongly recommend requiring these services on future sales to protect your business.  More information can be found in the Security Center under our Safer Selling section.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Login to Me Too

teikyo30
Contributor
Contributor

I would have asked the buyer to send me the note and offer a full refund once the note arrived. The reason being if the buyer wrote it, then you would now have proof of forgery, which you could have them arrested for.

Login to Me Too

Trevor66
New Community Member

I'm going through this process now... You need three things

1) the ORIGINAL mailing receipt for the Insurance (not a photo copy or fax)

2) Evidence of Value - The receipt of purchase from Ebay or Paypal

3) The claim Form PS 1000 filled out

You will fill out a form (PS Form 1000) and send it off to St Louis,

expect a reply in 6 to 8 Weeks!!!!!!!!!

(note to self: Never, ever use the post office ever again!!!!)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.