Item lost in mail; seller won't refund

RainbowBerry
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item on ebay a few weeks ago. It had USPS tracking, which I've been checking. About a week ago the item was at a sorting facility - then never left. I've contacted the seller, and they said it looks like the item has been lost in the mail, and that they're not liable to refund me my money, because I didn't get insurance and the tracking number proves they sent the item. I thought that the seller had to prove the item had been DELIVERED, and that insurance is just protection for them if the item is lost, and not me. Will I be able to get my money back?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You have up to 45 days from the Paypal payment date to file a Paypal dispute.  Once the dispute is filed you hav an additional 20dyas to escalate it to a Paypal claim.

Paypal does very litt, if anything until it is escalated.

Don't let those deadlines pass.

if the seller cant prove deliver to you via the D/C, you will win the paypal claim.

Now when Paypal refunds you and if later on the package arrives you can do two things.

1. repay the seller

2 . refuse the package, by refusing the package you won't have to pay return shipping

Login to Me Too

BrianL508
Contributor
Contributor

I am a seller, one of many who do the right thing.

If it wasn't delivered you GET YOUR MONEY BACK!

Two things though:

1) Give the seller 42 days (6 weeks), yes I know it seems long but this gives the package ample time to be delivered even during the holidays. Then on the 43rd day escalate to a claim for non-delivery.

2) If it does get delivered, then PLEASE repay the seller   OR   REFUSE the package.

I hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

hjcc
Contributor
Contributor

😞

The same happened to me, but when I was going to open the dispute the seller told me not to worry everything was ok, now they don't want to pay and they ignore all my requests and emails, PM 😞

the seller is wireovia on ebay, what can I do if it has been more than 45 days?

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@hjcc wrote:

😞

The same happened to me, but when I was going to open the dispute the seller told me not to worry everything was ok, now they don't want to pay and they ignore all my requests and emails, PM 😞

the seller is wireovia on ebay, what can I do if it has been more than 45 days?

Call ebay or contact them through LiveChat here;

http://res.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ResolutionCenter&cf=20

(keep hitting "other" until it gives you the chat room)

ebay will sometimes waive the 45 day limit if the seller has actively tried to prevent the buyer from opening a dispute by misleading the, as is the case here.

Have the emails ready from this seller - ebay's likely going to want numbers off them or have you foward them to someone at ebay.

IF ebay allows you to open a dispute, don't close it until you have a refund, no matter what the seller says.

Login to Me Too

hjcc
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get any proof that the item got lost?

because in my case the seller told me it got lost but I didnt get a real proof, just 2 pictures but those pictures can be anything!

Ask the seller for real proof, and contac USPS!

Login to Me Too

mcruss59
New Community Member

I bought & paid in good faith & spent alot of money . The seller recieved the payment but I have yet to recieve the package. He said it was coming via USPS .   . It was coming from Hughesville , Pa . 17737 . I ordered it on Sep 22 , 2010 & Today is Oct 9 , 2010 .. What do I do next ? Thank You , Harry Odink

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.