I sold an item internationally, but the buyer claims he never received it. HELP!

RM43
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

I sold an item internationally on eBay and he claims to not have received the item at all. He filed a dispute and I am wondering what do I do next? I don't have a Delivery Confirmation number, but I do have a Customs Declaration form which shows our addresses and the stamped date that I shipped out the item. Is Customs Declaration form an evidence that I shipped out the item as promised? ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I hate to say it, but you're probably pooched on this and he may be telling the truth.

Sometimes things get stolen by the Customs or Postal employees - it depends on the country and, of course, on the employee.

It does sound suspicious, but since you had no proof of delivery, the buyer didn't have to tell you that the item arrived - he could have just kept quiet.

I don't see that you have any proof on your side, sorry.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
35 REPLIES 35

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

You will need online viewable proof of delivery to win an INR (Item Not Received) claim... proof of shipment is not sufficient.

Login to Me Too

RM43
Contributor
Contributor

So I guess I will pretty much lose this dispute?

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Probably.

However, I've always found international customers to be honest with rare exceptions.

The buyer has likely just opened the dispute as a precaution - assuming the item arrives before he closes the dispute, he'll likely inform Paypal that the case is cancelled.

Login to Me Too

RM43
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, well I shipped the item on January 13, 2010. He filed the dispute yesterday, February 19th. The item is coming from US, Virginia to Brazil. Do you think that there is just a delay of shipment/delivery or the item is completely lost? This is my first dispute and I have no clue what to do 😞

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

If you shipped by surface, it's likely a delay.

If you shipped by air, it might be a delay or the item may be lost or it may have been seized by Customs in Brazil - depends what it was and whether you had proper documentation on it.

Login to Me Too

RM43
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks. I will just wait and see. I had this experience as a buyer. I bought something from Malaysia and it took a month and a half to be delivered. I really hope it is just a delay.

Also, Paypal is holding my balance and right now it is negative. Do you know why they froze my balance? Before I log in, they say that I owe them money. I don't get it at all. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Paypal has likely pulled the amount of the dipute out of your account until it's been resolved - they have the right to do that.

Login to Me Too

RM43
Contributor
Contributor

Oh ok. That's understandable. Thanks a lot for the information. 

Login to Me Too

RM43
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again. An hour ago, the buyer messaged me, saying that he received the box, but the products were not in it. How do I know I am not being lied to? I think this is just ridiculous. I lost the item I am selling, and on top of that, I will probably end up refunding him. What do I do? Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.