Help! Virtual Item, Scam.

jay5566f4
Contributor
Contributor

So Basically. I am playing this game.

And I bought game points for the game.

At beginning, the game company offer me the ratio of 1USD:60points.

And so I bought 670USD worth of game points(40200 points).

But then, after few hours, they told me that I need to give them another 75 dollars, or else they will take away all of my points and possibly ban my game account.

So now I want to get refund for all of my money back. I call Paypal, and the lady told me to open a dispute.

However, I read over the forms and I realized that Paypal does not protect Virtual transaction.

So I just want to know, will I get my total of 745USD back or not?

And I know if I open the dispute, they will ban my game account.

So if I won't get my money back, I better not open a dispute.

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26

liuchess
Contributor
Contributor

@profdata wrote:

The Paypal Buyer Protection, no longer says the item has to be virtual. 

File the paypal claim, but paypal will only refund the money that the seller has in their paypal account.  The protection is different than ebay purchases.

If Paypal rules against you because it a virtual item, remind them it changes over a year ago.

If the still rule agains you, contct your cc company and file a chargeback

See this is where I have a problem. If it's not specifically in the Terms of Service, then it's just as likely for PayPal to rule against you. So even if there are changes to virtual item policy, it doesn't seem significant and the situation is more or less the same as 1 year ago.

Login to Me Too

christopherf
Contributor
Contributor

When they took the money back from me from selling a online game that the buyer of  papal of 9 years says was unauthorized they put my account at a neg 350 balance so they will take more then what you actually have in your account. And the buyer not only was using the game but put a authenticator and everything on it.

So basically get vip status and papal will help u scam people?

Login to Me Too

liuchess
Contributor
Contributor

Pretty much. Since their investigators have no clue at how to manage virtual items. I'd read my guide on how to prevent getting scammed the next time you deal with ... I'm guessing World of Warcraft account?

Login to Me Too

christopherf
Contributor
Contributor

yep, but the guy didnt file for virtual item he filed as unauthrized access to his account so that should been enough to won it for me.  And after words i found out the guy was a gold seller so how come they uphold him yet they dont me?

Login to Me Too

liuchess
Contributor
Contributor

On the contrary, if the person files an unauthorized and isn't stupid about it, the seller usually loses. Seller has no evidence virtual goods were delivered and I've heard buyers saying their kid used their PayPal account and won that way. This is why you have to protect yourself from these scammers. They may also prepare for this and log in a different IP address to trick PayPal into thinking it was unauthorized access.

Login to Me Too

christopherf
Contributor
Contributor

But for example when I talked to paypal on the phone. they said they ban people for what he is doin yet he has a 8 or 9 year old account  and has done this threw paypal for a very long time that just tells me paypal really only cares about who is making them more money. not whats right and whats wrong.

Login to Me Too

liuchess
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal usually sides with the buyer because if they don't, the buyer might chargeback. This is paid by the seller if he has funds, but if the seller doesn't pay then PayPal takes the loss.

Login to Me Too

christopherf
Contributor
Contributor

My new understanding is from what i talked to the people on paypal that if you paid money for a virtiual iteam or game on paypal you have every right to get the money back because its not trackable and its not real. Well thats what they told me when i sold a game which the guy scamed me out of. 

Dont know why they are saying you cant win i mean im lossing my dispute form what the guy on the phone said and what you bought is completly virtual right?

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

It's complicated.

Paypal has different rules for different markets, depending on local laws and where the person's account is registered.

And this possible change over virtual items has been very recent, so the advisors are still unsure of it's application in some areas ( at least, THIS advisor is).

Login to Me Too

christopherf
Contributor
Contributor

I say open it and let us know what happens. From the looks of it its up in the air. How long has it been since you made your first payment?  There is a time limit on how long you got to do it, but kind confused  one says 7 days then 10 then 45. 

Oh and I would file it as unauthorized transaction  or look into filling it as that since there will be no way to prove that you received the item.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.