Help! I lost a claim and refunded the buyer, but the buyer didn't return the item as she agreed to

ArcticLuke
Contributor
Contributor

What steps can I take? A buyer falsely claimed that a pair of shoes I sold her were damaged in a way not listed in the item description. We went back and forth ( her real problem was that the shoes didn't fit. We offered to refund the money upon receipt of the shoes, but she refused.) and finally, she made a claim against me. She won the claim. I refunded her money after she agreed to return the shoes, as per the findings of the resolution center.

She never sent the shoes back. 

Because the case is closed, Ebay and Paypal will not allow me to file a claim based on any of the transactions between me and the buyer. What steps can I take? 

Thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

krose1162
Contributor
Contributor

never refund money until the item has been returned!!!  if it doesn't get returned in a certain amount of time, the case is overturned.........they must prove they sent it back before they get their refund.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

ArcticLuke- Sorry to hear the dispute process wasn't working for you there.  I'm not sure if it's a PayPal or eBay dispute, but in PayPal's dispute process if we're making the decision on the dispute, we do wait to refund the buyer until after they ship the item.

I don't know if you just refunded it before a decision was made or what, but if it was actually in a claim phase and we gave the buyer their money first...well...that's bad.  If it's an eBay dispute, I would contact eBay :D.

In either case, I would think we could appeal your case; I can't guarantee a different outcome, but we want to make things right for as many people as possible.

Hope this helps!

Andy

Login to Me Too

ArcticLuke
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response Andy. The dispute is/was an Ebay dispute. Paypal automatically refunded the buyer. I don't know the exact chronology of it; the judgement came through and the next thing I knew, the money had been taken out of my Paypal account. I attempted to settle this through Ebay, but it will not allow me to open a claim based on the ID number of the case that has already been closed. It requires that I enter an ID number, but of course, there isn't a relevant one. 

Could you advise me further? 

Login to Me Too

fmk509
Contributor
Contributor

@Andy--That's NOT true!!! Pay Pal just refunded a customer of mine(from eBay, though his dispute was through Pay Pal) He claimed the item was a fake(which it WASN't) and after 6 weeks Pay Pal just gave him his $106.99 back and he was never required to return the BRAND NEW with TAGS Baseball Jersey he purchased. So now he has the jersey and the money!! Every seller on eBay should be WARNED that Pay Pal is allowing buyers to steal from us with no recourse!! This buyer was even kicked off eBay for policy violations and yet Pay Pal still gave him his money back and let him keep the product. I have been selling on eBay for 10 years now, have a 99.8% Feedback rating and Power Seller status and yet this criminal creep was able to get away with this with Pay Pal's horrible business practices!! Time to jump ship Sellers and get out before we lose our shirts(PUN INTENDED!!!)

FYI--This is the SECOND time this has happened in 6 months. The last one the buyer swapped items. She claimed I sent the wrong item, filed a claim(through eBay, who required she send the item back), and then sent back the "bad" item she owned, kept the collectible 1st Edition I sent her and THEN got a Refund as well!!!

Login to Me Too

ArcticLuke
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal/Ebay needs to focus on seller protection. Like the guy that just posted, I'm pretty sure the woman who filed the claim was running a scam. You guys are trying to implement a system of checks and balances, but who has the sellers' interest in mind in that process? 

What recourse do we have? 

Login to Me Too

JGromek17
Contributor
Contributor

I actually did some looking around after I found some unauthorized charges on my account and filed disputes on them and they took the scammer's side.

There have been multiple cases, multiple times in the past year or so, brought to court by firms in major cities. They got a huge amount of clients together and sued Paypal and won most of them.

Check around you local metropolis and see if there's a lawfirm doing this again soon.

Login to Me Too

fmk509
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal Andy--You are totally full of crap!! Pay Pal does NOT require an buyer to send an item back in order to receive a refund!! I know, because this just happened to me and the buyer was allowed to keep the item and the $106.99!!! I called a Pay Pal rep. about this and was told directly that the buyer is not required to return an item in a dispute. They are only told that they have to destroy the item. LOL--Yeah!!! Because that is EXACTLY what the buyer is going to do!!

ATTENTION SELLERS!!!! DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING THAT THESE PAY PAL REPS ARE TELLING YOU ON HERE!! you are NOT protected from fraud and scams!! PAY PAL IS PROTECTING THE "BAD GUYS"

Login to Me Too

ArcticLuke
Contributor
Contributor

This is crazy! Where are the PayPal reps? Why aren't they letting us know what the real deal is? 

I think I'm probably like a lot of Ebay sellers; It's nice to get some extra money, but I don't depend on it . I will simply stop using Ebay/Paypal if I don't get some answers. It's not even about the $30.00 for me, it's the principle. 

Login to Me Too

ltavares2010
New Community Member

I believe I have a similar problem. I sold a brand new Ipod never even opened back on Dec. 20th on Feb 2nd I have a dispute saying the item is not functioning how is it that you can open a dispute for an item bought over a month and a half ago. I believe this person used it damaged it and now wants their money back paypal does not even contact the parties involved and I know they are just going to side with the buyer

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.