Does PayPal have any kind of website black list?

stillhere
Contributor
Contributor

I recently came across a website selling Microsoft Windows 7.  It was on eBay with a link to their web-page.  I don't know if I can mention their name or not, I'm new to the forum.    Anyway they are selling Windows 7 Ultimate for just $96. Full retail boxed version, supposedly with license key and all.  They list the location of the stuff as Moundsville WV USA  Preferred payment method PayPal

Does PayPal screen the sites that use them??  How can you tell a rip off site before you fork over your money?  I know ebay is full of them.  With a limited income I can't afford to get rooked.   Let me know if I can mention this site by name, I'd like to know if anybody else ever used it.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Why do you thinkl we have patents in this country?

Windows 7 JUST came out and the only ones authorized to sell it are Microsoft dealers.

Everybody else is selling counterfeits.

Paypal states quite clearly in their User Agreement that you have zero protection when purchasing virtual items.

It's the contract between you and Paypal - if something isn't in the contract, it doesn't exist.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

There's no blacklist.  I've never seen a problem with people posting website names.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

You can bet, however, that this will be a counterfeit copy - they're all over the place right now.

Login to Me Too

stillhere
Contributor
Contributor

So just because it says use PayPal because it's a secure way to pay, I could still end up getting shafted? Does PayPal hand out an account to anybody that asks for one, don't they even check any kind of credentials??

Short of going directly to Microsoft (or the store) is the any place I can get a LEGAL copy of Windows 7, either Home Premium or Pro?????   I mean without paying an arm and leg???  The reason I went to e-bay was because I don't have a couple hundred just laying around.   You'd think with all of Bill Gates money he could put that thing out at a little cheaper price.   Guess that's how he got to be a multi-billionaire in the first place.

Login to Me Too
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Why do you thinkl we have patents in this country?

Windows 7 JUST came out and the only ones authorized to sell it are Microsoft dealers.

Everybody else is selling counterfeits.

Paypal states quite clearly in their User Agreement that you have zero protection when purchasing virtual items.

It's the contract between you and Paypal - if something isn't in the contract, it doesn't exist.

Login to Me Too

stillhere
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help, at least now I know where to look without getting ripped off.   Looks like I have a bit more saving to do to afford one.   Also thanks for explaining what PayPal liability is.  I read the disclaimer but didn't understand it all.  Everybody alway has to put stuff in legal jargon, so some of it isn't so clear.

Can these sites be reported to Microsoft or don't they care?

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

You can report them to security @ microsoft.com ( that should be a valid email address, I think), but, frankly, there are hundreds of thousands of them - I doubt that you're even going to make a dent.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.