Didn't recieved my item seller claimed that he shipped.

jason_31
Contributor
Contributor

I bought one Item(cell Phone) on eBay from a seller with decent feedback history.i made the payment including shipping he asked for in listing. it was my first purchase international so I knew nothing about shipping things. He sent the item and when I asked for tracking info he said it was sent by ordinary post hence no tracking info available(sent from US to India) he also said that I'll receive item in 6-10 days whereas I received item on 3rd day the box was open and therewas no cellphone inside but just the charger and headset.I was shocked and thus refused to accept the item and the same postal guy took it back with a remark that party refused to accept as box was open and he said that it will be sent back where it came from.I immediately contacted seller who instead of being any help started blaming me that I am scamming him.I had no choice but to escalate to paypal.seller was extremely uncooperative in whole situation and started blaiming me that it was my fault for not buying insurance for item which was optional for 4$ and therefore he is not to be blamed anyways.Now paypal has asked me to return the merchandise to seller in order to get refund.whereas I have nothing to return.what  to do now.any suggestion or help is highly appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

jason_31
Contributor
Contributor

@All, Thanks for your valuable feedbacks.finally paypal decided in my favour though i was told to lodge another claim of item not recieved as my first one was item not as described.Seller did tried to again manipulate things as when paypal asked for tracking information he gave the ref of my first claim where i said that i recieved open box.but that's irrelevant now.Thanks paypal gr8 job1

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

That might be a problem.

Copy and paste the email where you asked for the tracking number and the seller said it was sent without one.  Then note that the item was refused and returned to the seller.

Technically, you're supposed to return the item with tracking, but the seller is also supposed to send it with tracking.  I don't know how paypal will rule in this case.

The insurance doesn't matter - it's the seller's responsibility to get the insurance whether you pay for it or not.  ebay in North America currently prohibits sellers from charging insurance.

Good luck.  I think you did the right thing here, but I'm not sure how Paypal is going to see it.  If they rule against you, appeal the decision.

If they still rule against you and you used a credit card to buy the item, file a chargeback with the credit card AFTER paypal has finished with the case.  Don't do it during the case, paypal can ban you for that.

Login to Me Too

jason_31
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! Thanks for your reply. current status on my case is granted but still they are asking me to return the items to the seller. I've written back to them atleast four times stating that i never accepted anything from seller since box was open therefore i saw that there's no phone inside and thus refused to accept the box and the postman took it back it must be now back with the seller who i know will never admit on this. also the items are not more than 10$(Used headphone+charger) why would i lie on this and risk my 180$ for them but paypal guys are either not reading my replies or not getting my point they still demand the same. I live in india the number they had given on contact us page is not accesible from here so that  i can call them and clear my point. I don't know what to do my money is on stake.

Also when i recieved the open box i also lodged complaint with postal department but they refused to entertain saying that since there is no registration number they can't help and regn. number is something which seller didn't provided me. Any suggestions pls provide. 

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Phone paypal and speak to a supervisor, that's all I can suggest.

Click on 'contact us' and the phone number will come up.

Login to Me Too

lcspendn
Contributor
Contributor

Jason--i see where you said you cannot call the contact number to paypal from where you are.  Just an idea--can you get a confirmation slip from the post office that states that you did not accept the box, and said "return to sender".  Here where i am--they keep a record of that.  If  you can get that  piece of documentation, then of course you could make copies and send it to paypal, the seller,....

good luck

Login to Me Too

AuctionLovers
Contributor
Contributor

Something's not making since.  If you filed a Did Not Recieve Item Dispute, then it is upon the proof of the seller by delivery confirmation/tracking to proove you got it.  So why is paypal questioning you to return item.  There is no proof you received it?

Login to Me Too

Stevanni25
New Community Member

I agree with you the seller has no proof he sent the item. They're placing the burden of proof upon you?! Obtain a letter from the post office that the box was open when delivered.

Login to Me Too

lcspendn
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to say thanks for that bit of info you gave about dont do a chargeback during an open case.

I did not know that.  I had read, that the seller is protected from a chargeback IF they have come to a resolution with the buyer and then the buyer also does a chargeback. So the added info you gave comes at an important time for me--i appreciate that! Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too
Solved

jason_31
Contributor
Contributor

@All, Thanks for your valuable feedbacks.finally paypal decided in my favour though i was told to lodge another claim of item not recieved as my first one was item not as described.Seller did tried to again manipulate things as when paypal asked for tracking information he gave the ref of my first claim where i said that i recieved open box.but that's irrelevant now.Thanks paypal gr8 job1

Login to Me Too

kaly
New Community Member

If you buy an item through EBAY, you can work with them on refunds also.  I had bought an item that did not work after I received it and the seller said she didn't have the money to refund me.  I worked with EBAY on their guaranteed refund and received my refund from EBAY into my Paypal account.   I was very happy with EBAY.  They were very courteous and prompt in their replies.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.