Credit card chargeback claim even after Paypal ruled the transaction WAS authorized??

Jenkins13
New Community Member

This guy keeps trying to scam money back from me. We made a transaction over $1000, and after he got his item, he filed a claim saying it was an unauthorized payment. After I provided proof, Paypal ruled in my favor that it WAS authorized. Now, a week or so after this was decided upon, he's back after the money trying to steal it again. Paypal sent me an email telling me he opened a case with his credit card company saying it is unauthorized, and Paypal is withholding the funds again!

The problem here is that after I won the claim, I closed my paypal account because I was not satisfied with the level of security I had as a seller. However, they're wanting me to provide proof and take action on this claim for an account I can't access anymore.

What should I do ? And why is Paypal humoring this guy when they already ruled in my favor once??

All of this is just making me sick of Paypal. 

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

A credit card holder can go to their credit card company and file a chargeback after a dispute has been lost or without even filing a dispute. 

Hope someone at Paypal can help you get access to the information you need.  I dont want to depress you but when someone files a chargeback and even if you provide all the information needed the chargeback case will still most often go in favor of the cardholder(scammer).

And remember its not Paypals fault you should be more upset with the buyer and your only option if you loose the chargeback is to take the guy to court.

Login to Me Too

Andelou
Contributor
Contributor

Of course it is partly PayPals fault, as they seems to be able to "dispute" some chargebacks - otherwise why would there be references to that everywhere?

Why doesn't PayPal say "wait a minute" "prove some proof of the claim" to the CC company?

Login to Me Too

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You take the majority of the risk because when using paypal you act as a business.  Paypal seller protection is not as broad as a credit card companies chargeback scope.

4.4 Risk of Reversals, Chargebacks and Claims.

Paypal does ask that you give them the proof and they provide it to the credit card company.  unfortunately the CC company makes the final say and they almost always side with their cardholder. 

Login to Me Too

Andelou
Contributor
Contributor

Nope. They do not ask.. otherwise I would not be in here... Don't be a smart-**bleep** pig!

EDIT: I do not like to prove it, as you probably do not listen anyway!
ps. please note that their sentence is missing a few words "the guidelines of our ."

===============================================

Hello xxxx,

We were recently notified that a payment you received was reversed by the buyer's bank.

As a result, we have reversed the following transaction:
Transaction date:  Jun. 27, 2011
Transaction amount:  £25.50 GBP
Buyer's email:  xxxx<at>xxxx.com
Buyer's name:  xxxx yyyy
Your transaction ID:  12345567890AB

PayPal is committed to maintaining a safe environment for our buyers and sellers. You can help protect yourself against claims and reversals by following the guidelines of our .

Thanks,

PayPal

----------------------------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.

Copyright © 1999-2011 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PPID PP412

Login to Me Too

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

When things don't go your way....start spewing irrelevant personal insults.  It helps and makes you seem smart Smiley Wink

Login to Me Too

Andelou
Contributor
Contributor

Help solve the problem instead of pointing to non-existing agreements with PayPal... I do not see any of your posts being constructive other than simply flaming everyone for not reeding the agreements - while in fact there is no truth in the agreements or advertisements

Login to Me Too

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you don't like the user agreement or believe it to be lies then WHY DID YOU SIGN IT?

No flaming simply sharing knowledge and experience

Login to Me Too

Andelou
Contributor
Contributor

How about trusting what you read?

It is ILLEGAL to advertise something which the advertiser did not intend to uphold - at least here in Sweden, but I bet it is in the rest of EU and US too. PayPal is advertising SAFETY for sellers, while in fact they provide none for these cases.

This is highly contradictory to the license (4.4 below). Moreover, according to the licence, the "Seller Protection Programme" is void once a reversal or chargeback claim comes through. This is also against all and any marketing about Safety that PayPal uses.

4.4 Risk of Reversals, Chargebacks and Claims. The receipt of a payment into your PayPal Account does not equate to the receipt of cleared funds. A notification that E-money has been sent to you, does not amount to a receipt of E-money in your Account unless you have accepted the payment. You acknowledge and agree that a payment transaction is completed and received by you even if it becomes subject to a Reversal, Chargeback. Claim, Reserve or hold. When you receive a payment, you are liable to PayPal for the full amount of the payment plus any Fees if the payment is later invalidated for any reason. In addition to any other liability, if there is a Reversal, or if you lose a Chargeback or Claim and you are not entitled to a payment under the Seller Protection Programme, you will owe PayPal an amount equal to the Reversal, Chargeback or Claim and our Fees per section 8 (including a Chargeback Fee if applicable) and PayPal will debit your Balance to recover such an amount. If a sender of a payment files a Chargeback, the credit card company, not PayPal, will determine who wins the Chargeback. You can find out more about Chargebacks by reviewing our Chargeback Guide, accessible via the PayPal Security Centre and the section called: “Selling Safely”. The PayPal Security Centre is accessed via the PayPal website.

You see, this is contradictory to what is claimed on their website under "Merchant Security":

"PayPal was built to keep you secure. As a pioneer in online payments, we set the standard for fraud prevention by continuously developing and deploying a broad range of security measures so you can focus on your customers."

Now, I have not lost anything because I could stop the shipment in-time, but I have lost a sale, which was legally binding.

Login to Me Too

readuseragreeme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Andelou wrote:

How about trusting what you read?

It is ILLEGAL to advertise something which the advertiser did not intend to uphold - at least here in Sweden, but I bet it is in the rest of EU and US too. PayPal is advertising SAFETY for sellers, while in fact they provide none for these cases.

This is highly contradictory to the license (4.4 below). Moreover, according to the licence, the "Seller Protection Programme" is void once a reversal or chargeback claim comes through. This is also against all and any marketing about Safety that PayPal uses.

4.4 Risk of Reversals, Chargebacks and Claims. The receipt of a payment into your PayPal Account does not equate to the receipt of cleared funds. A notification that E-money has been sent to you, does not amount to a receipt of E-money in your Account unless you have accepted the payment. You acknowledge and agree that a payment transaction is completed and received by you even if it becomes subject to a Reversal, Chargeback. Claim, Reserve or hold. When you receive a payment, you are liable to PayPal for the full amount of the payment plus any Fees if the payment is later invalidated for any reason. In addition to any other liability, if there is a Reversal, or if you lose a Chargeback or Claim and you are not entitled to a payment under the Seller Protection Programme, you will owe PayPal an amount equal to the Reversal, Chargeback or Claim and our Fees per section 8 (including a Chargeback Fee if applicable) and PayPal will debit your Balance to recover such an amount. If a sender of a payment files a Chargeback, the credit card company, not PayPal, will determine who wins the Chargeback. You can find out more about Chargebacks by reviewing our Chargeback Guide, accessible via the PayPal Security Centre and the section called: “Selling Safely”. The PayPal Security Centre is accessed via the PayPal website.

You see, this is contradictory to what is claimed on their website under "Merchant Security":

"PayPal was built to keep you secure. As a pioneer in online payments, we set the standard for fraud prevention by continuously developing and deploying a broad range of security measures so you can focus on your customers."

"Merchant Security" is not a contract that you signed.  The Paypal TOS is though. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.