Can a seller refund after 60 days? Or does paypal have to do it?

cortem762
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a bass from this music store's website, and they said the bass wouldn't be in stock until April and they can keep the order open, so I figured I would wait for the bass until April. I ended up changing my mind and I emailed them to cancel the order. They said they would notify paypal. I assumed it would take long for my refund to arrive through the system. After almost two months, I contacted the music store because I thought they forgot to notify paypal or just flat out lied to me. They told me they have been trying to contact paypal because after 60 days only paypal can issue the refund. When I emailed paypal, they said the seller needs to refund my money through the money tab directly to my account. Who is right?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I do believe a sellers ability to refund is gone after 60 days but what I don't understand is why they are dragging their feet on just issuing you a new payment as a refund.  If you paid with a credit card I would e-mail them to let them know you want a refund within 72 hours or you will initiate a chargeback on the transcation with your bank.  If they hang on to the fact they can not refund your original payment simply ask why they can not issue a new payment for your refund?

Login to Me Too

cortem762
Contributor
Contributor

I paid with my debit card. Well the seller said that sending money over the money tab will cost them a fee. I'm really worried that this large amount of money is just floating around in cyberspace. What do you mean by issue a new payment?

Login to Me Too

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

What the seller is saying is that if you paid him say $800 dollars that he only received $776.50 because of transaction fees.  He is saying if he tried to resend a payment of say $800 that he would be taking a loss of the original fees which in this example would be $24.50.

You could work with him and take a refund minus the fees but this would be your call.  I understand now why he wants PP's help to refund you.  I just don't know if they even have this option.  A chargeback may be your only result and even in that case the seller will again be taking a hit of $30 in chargeback fees.

It's a no win situation for them but at least you do have options thanks to your debit card.

Login to Me Too

cortem762
Contributor
Contributor

Yah they do not want to do anything complicated. Whats a chargeback anyways?

Login to Me Too

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I would call your bank via the number on the back of your card.  Ask for the claims department and they will be able to answer your questions about a chargeback.  Since every banks protection is slightly different you should talk with them.

BK

Login to Me Too

cortem762
Contributor
Contributor

Its a debit card though, does that matter? The thing I think would happen is since the only reason I can't get my refund is that they havent been able to hear from paypal about sending my refund is that the card company would tell me I can't get a chargeback filed since the seller is trying to get the refund to me. The seller tells me paypal has to do the refund since its over 60 days and they said they can't get any replies from paypal.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

cortem762- A chargeback would only be a last ditch scenario.  Here's a better solution. Give us a call during the business hours of the business. We can call the company and verify the refund is ok with them. We get that, the payment is refunded pretty quick.  If we can't get in touch with the merchant, we can always send them an email trying to get a resolution. 

A chargeback is always your right as a consumer, but part of our agreement with you (and the seller) is that you give us the opportunity to make it right first. Contact us. We're here to help! 🙂

Andy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.